Sign in to follow this  
Montanaro

Field And Stream Eagle Talon

Well, I'm pretty set on picking one of these up this weekend from Dicks.  For $450 it gives me room for a life vest and a good paddle and it gets me on the water.  You can also stand relatively well in these.

Can anyone talk me out of getting it?  Closest BPS is 4+ hours and closest Cabelas is 1 1/2 hours.  Max Budget of 600 for kayak.  BPS has a good fishing model, but at 100+ bucks for shipping, it puts it at over $700.

Thoughts?

I bought the sit on top one and I can tell you save money to look elsewhere. My biggest complaint is that the seat is not very good. I am 22 with a good back and in somewhat reasonable shape and i have trouble fishing in it for more than 4 hours. The seat is just not good for posture. For the money, bass pro has the best seats.

The back opening is a little too small for my liking for storage, but I haven't tested that thoroughly.

Stability is good...when sitting down. I plan on adding an outrigger to help. I have fished out of a wilderness systems ride 115, tarpon 120, and commander 120. Out of those, it is most like the tarpon, but the tarpon has better stability and storage options, but the tarpon is also much more expensive.

Advantage: price and it floats

Don't get me wrong, I like fishing out of it, but I wish I had saved up a little more and bought something else. It is a starter kayak, and that's about it. I understand budget constraints, but I would highly recommend trying one before you buy.

It is nice to get off shore without the hassles of a boat.

If you have specific questions, please pm me. I can send you more details and pics.

I've been planning on getting one or two of these for me and the fiance, I had heard the seats are crap but I plan on changing them out as has been recommended in some of the reviews I have read.

I don't know if the actual store site has them for sale or not, but they do not honor the online price or allow ship to store. It was supposed to be 160ish on top of tax and the actual price to ship.

I don't know if the actual store site has them for sale or not, but they do not honor the online price or allow ship to store. It was supposed to be 160ish on top of tax and the actual price to ship.

I got two a while back before I bought my boat, and they did honor the online price for me on both of them. I had to run through talking to all of the managers but they were all really cool about it they just all wanted to check with the guy above them before they gave me stuff for $100 cheaper a piece

My buddy let me try out his inflatable fishing kayak.  It was rough.  My shoulders were killing me from paddeling  and it was difficult to cast.  I either had to sit crossed legged or with knees in air.  It was also affected by wind easily.

Please tell me I can enjoy more efficiency and comfort from a talon.  Does anyone know what dick's return policy is...would like to try one out but be able to return it if I didn't like it.

You could also go the solo canoe route - Dicks has the Old Town Guide 119 for 429.http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11544093&ab=ACLN1_PaddleSports_ShopBy_Canoes&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832

I don't like the seat on that one, but they're not to hard to change out and modify. One of the guys on my local forum did this:http://forums.ozarkanglers.com/topic/24289-guide-119-seat-mods-take-two/

https://www.google.com/search?q=guide%20119%20mods&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

Anyway - depends on your style but I don't care about standing but do care about more secure dry storage so I like the solo better. I know some people who have the Bass Pro Ascend little kayaks and like them O.K. - I don't have any experience with that one.

i actually think ill get the ascend 128t and spend a little more for a kayak that sits higher above thewater and attach trolling motor to it.

i actually think ill get the ascend 128t and spend a little more for a kayak that sits higher above thewater and attach trolling motor to it.

I have quite a bit of seat time in the FS128t. I don't own one, but have been giving my buddies a good testing the last few months.

The trolling motor idea isn't bad. Keep in mind that while the boat does sit high, it also paddles like a barge. You won't want to do any 5+ mile round trips in that bad boy.

Carrying the yak by yourself is very demanding. A cart is a MUST. Car topping it would also be a job, but tossing it in the back of my long bed 4wd TRD Tacoma was simple.

I'll say it like this... I really like the 128t when you get to your fishing destination and start casting. Everything else, from loading, launching, paddling long distances, and portaging, I do not.

Just depends on what kind of put-ins and trips you will be making.

I have quite a bit of seat time in the FS128t. I don't own one, but have been giving my buddies a good testing the last few months.

The trolling motor idea isn't bad. Keep in mind that while the boat does sit high, it also paddles like a barge. You won't want to do any 5+ mile round trips in that bad boy.

Carrying the yak by yourself is very demanding. A cart is a MUST. Car topping it would also be a job, but tossing it in the back of my long bed 4wd TRD Tacoma was simple.

I'll say it like this... I really like the 128t when you get to your fishing destination and start casting. Everything else, from loading, launching, paddling long distances, and portaging, I do not.

Just depends on what kind of put-ins and trips you will be making.

I just looked up the specs on that - yeah, 84 pounds is kind of getting into what I call "heavy as a barge" weight.

Heavy, sure.  But I'm pretty darn strong and won't have to drag it far.

It's also slow in the water. If you just plan on pond fishing, no big deal.

I do regular trips in the marsh and lakes than easily top 7-9 miles of paddling a day. There is no way on God's green earth that I would do that in the 128t.

Trust me, I wanted one REALLY badly until the minute I paddled it. Heck, I even get a huge discount because I work for BPS. Even with my discount, I don't think I would buy one.

But again, if you aren't paddling far, no big deal. It would serve you well.

If you are looking at that type of seating position, then you should consider saving your money and opting for a Jackson Cuda 12, Native Ultimate 12.5, Old Town Predator/MX, Wilderness Systems Ride 115 or Commander 120.  They are all lighter than the Ascend and have a better user base that can help you out with direct questions on functionality.  While the Ascend is attractive, BPS/Dicks and any other big box store is not going to have the necessary expertise to handle any kayak or handling specific questions you might have about a specific model during and after the purchase process.  If you need any proof of this, try visiting the store at various hours and see how many different people are "working" that section.  Then go visit your local kayak store and see that the same people work there everyday.  They live and breathe kayaks and have firsthand knowledge and real seat time in the brands they carry.  Just my .02 - take it for what its worth.