Sign in to follow this  
Rangerphil

Minn Kota Trolling Motor Help!

Hey guys, I was fishing yesterday and everything was fine then all of a sudden my trolling motor would not turn on! The batteries are good and checked the main breaker. One second it worked the next nothing. Got it home and still will not work. It is a 65 maximum with foot pedal. It will not work on momutenary or constant. Any ideas? I was thinking the switch under the pedal but I have no idea. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

First you need to make sure you have voltage at the motor with a multimeter. You could have  a wire corroded or get loose or pinched somewhere. 

I know you said that you checked the breaker, but does that mean you just checked to see if the switch on the breaker was flipped or did you try bi-passing the breaker to see if the breaker is bad?  That might be one possibility. 

I put a pair of pliers on the two wires that connect to the switch under the push button on the pedal and got sparks. So I think there is power to that point.

I had to actually take the top off the TM and found that there was voltage all the way into the TM.  That means the problem is down in the bottom of your TM where the actual motor is.

If you have power at the top where the arrow indicator is, then there is a good chance that the circuit board in the bottom is blown.  50 bucks max with labor included.

That was a disorganized post be me. 

I wasted a lot of time with a voltmeter tracing around the foot pedal. 

Just take the top off and check power in continuous mode or with the button pushed on the foot pedal.  if you have power, then it is probably the circuit board.