mathnerdm

Cleaning My New Baitcaster

Hey I just picked up a new baitcaster, H2O mettle, and absolutely love it! Caught my first bass on it first outing with it to my first time at a creek near me. I did fish through some pretty murky and muddy waters and got some crud on my line and in the spool. Now when I took it out this morning, it was a little almost grindy and had lost it's smoothness. I can see on the line guide that it has a bunch of algae but I'm not exactly sure what part would be causing the grindy-nes... Its more noticeable reeling in heavier lures like spinnerbait than just plastics but still is there. What parts do you recommend I clean and how? Thanks!

Being so new to casting reels I'd suggest rinsing with clear running water and maybe a soft bristle brush on visible debris. Put a drop of light oil on the worm gear that drives the line guide.

I doubt the bearings need lubing already. Honestly, we're talking about a fairly inexpensive reel that probably won't stay smooth for long. There may not be anything wrong but it's hard to say without seeing it.

Being so new to casting reels I'd suggest rinsing with clear running water and maybe a soft bristle brush on visible debris. Put a drop of light oil on the worm gear that drives the line guide.

I doubt the bearings need lubing already. Honestly, we're talking about a fairly inexpensive reel that probably won't stay smooth for long. There may not be anything wrong but it's hard to say without seeing it.

X2 

Lots of flex, 10 low tolerance BB's :Victory:

X2 

Lots of flex, 10 low tolerance BB's :Victory:

X3 solid advice

X3 solid advice

so I can just run water through it? Can I just leave it assembled? Only thing I've taken out is the spool, so can I just use water and like a tooth brush without worrying about it messing anything up?

On the external parts only, If you submerged it, it would need disassembled and cleaned, dried, and relubed, this is not necessary each time out, like DVT stated VISIBLE debris,  

Out of all the bearing packs that reel says it has in it..

I'm willing to bet the one causing you the most issue right now, is the bearing behind the engagment pin on the spool shaft if you have a bearing there. If not i'll bet it is in the frame right were the spool shaft runs through..

Good Luck & Tight Lines!  :fishing1: