War Eagle 44

R2S Spittin' Wa

I've had one for around a week now but have yet to even have one swirl on it. It's pretty easy to walk and it will really spit a good amount of water when fished like a traditional popper but for some reason I just can't get any fish interested. I have the "I Know It" color, which looks good by the way. It's a fairly wide body frog, when compared to the Bronzeye, so it looks bigger in the water. This may have something to do with my lack of bites so far.

One thing I will say, it IS NOT a good frog for fishing mats. Not that I expected it to be I just tried it to see how it would go, not well. Finally to my question, have any of you guys had any success on these baits yet?  

• Like 1

Where are you fishing? And what are the average size of bass in your lake? I know on a couple of the lakes and ponds I fish the bass won't even look at a 65t Live Target Frog and other where they will inhale them, it mainly depends on the size of the bass and lake and the size of the forage they are eating. Id just down size a little bit maybe try a Booyah Pad Crasher or Jr. And see what happens.

Best of Luck!

That color is like a sexy shad, right? Silver with a chartreuse racing stripe? I'm probably going to get one before Fall. You might have better success with a froggier color, but that just might be my preference speaking.

Thanks for the replies guys but I don't think I made myself clear. I'm not asking for frogging advise, though I may need some :grin:,  I was just wondering if many guys were having success on the Spittin' Wa. The places I fish have plenty of bass big enough to eat this frog I just seem to be having trouble getting them to. I'm catching fish on solid white and Killer Gill Bronzeye's so this is the reason I wasn't as concerned with the "Sexy Shad" color on the Spittin' Wa.

It may just be the time of year or I'm just simply not fishing the Spittin' Wa the best way yet. I'll figure it out before to long though, hopefully. Again thanks to the two guys who posted, I just didn't do a good job making my question clear.

That color is like a sexy shad, right? Silver with a chartreuse racing stripe? I'm probably going to get one before Fall. You might have better success with a froggier color, but that just might be my preference speaking.

Yes that's right, it's just their version of Sexy Shad.

I took advantage of the labor day sales and ordered 6 more of these bad boys, 3 of the 70 size and 3 of the 55. I ordered one in each size of Dirty White, Poison, and Bream. They have a great walking action and the "cupped mouth" splashes just enough water to leave a good bubble trail and have a nice fish attracting sound while working them. Also they are capable of making lots of noise and "spitting" good amounts of water when working them like a true popper.

I'm just so addicted to these baits right now, I haven't caught a big one yet but over the next few weeks as the water temp starts to fall I'm really going to put my time and effort in and see what happens. Anyone else doing much on one yet?     

I've watched that video like 4 times, I would love to catch a few like that on one.

I picked one up about a month ago and it's become my favorite frog. I feel my hookup ratio is better with the spittin' wa than other frogs I've used.

Nice, what color'd you get?

I got the 70 size in leopard color. I'll be doing what you did and getting some other colors and sizes, too.

I've been really happy with River2Sea lures in general. The Ish Monroe squarebill cranks are my favorite, and I have the tango prop bait to try out still.

I've also been satisfied with all the lures I've picked up from R2S. Some of the newer lures I've purchased of theirs are a couple of S-Waver glide baits (both sizes), the Whopper Plopper in the 130 size, and of course the Spittin' Wa's. I've caught a couple good one's on the Whopper Plopper so far but only had a few followers on the S-Wavers. All really nice baits that I plan to continue to fish and learn about though.

War Eagle, suggest considering cutting one leg to be shorter than the other to give the frog a different look.

It is just like putting McCarron's b@$$s in a vice and cutting them off to get the effect.

Just a suggestion from an unnamed pro on what he has done with the long legs of a frog.

War Eagle, suggest considering cutting one leg to be shorter than the other to give the frog a different look.

It is just like putting McCarron's b@$$s in a vice and cutting them off to get the effect.

Just a suggestion from an unnamed pro on what he has done with the long legs of a frog.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

My frogs came today, all of them look great. I'm going to try and get out for a little "test run" of the new colors tomorrow. Just thought I'd post a pic of the two spittin' wa's with a regular bully wa 65 just so people can kinda get an idea on their size. I've been having a blast fishing the 70 size but the 55's are going to be fun as well.

spittinwa_zpsadc72c2d.jpg

I fished a Spittin Wa for the first time over the weekend. It's a nice frog but not in the really thick stuff.  I was getting snagged up and flippin the frog over left and right when I was in dense pads. I liked it for areas of sparse pads or open pockets and it chugs water really well. The frog bite on my lake was almost non-existent though.  I caught a pike off the R2S in about 3 casts and then nothing from there.  I ended up throwing my Koppers frog back on and only managed 1 3.5# bass on that.  I will be giving that Spittin Wa another go next season but still not as good as a Koppers frog in my opinions.  It takes on a lot more water than I'd like causing it to sit nose up really high or sometimes even sink.  You have to give it the squeezy squeeze a bit more often. Not the end of the world though.

I've been fishing the 55 in yellow head for most of the summer. Caught a lot of bass up to 5 on it. Takes on some water, and you have to squeeze it on occasion though.

I've not had any of mine take on water any faster than my Spro Bronzeye's so I don't really have a complaint there. I will agree this frog isn't great in heavy weeds, but I've been experimenting with it on top of mats and as long as you hold your rod tip at about 1 to 2 o'clock it works fine. I think these are twice the frogs that Kopper's makes, just MHO though. I've also not had any trouble with the bait flipping over, I think it actually does a much better job of landing and staying right side up than the Bronzeye.

I have been disappointed in the 55 size though, it doesn't seem to be weighted exactly right and doesn't walk the dog nearly as well or as easily as the 70. I've caught a few fish on them none the less, biggest about 2-1/2. It does still have a great popping action that seems to get bit fairly well.

I've been having so much fun fishing the poison color I don't even bring other frogs with me anymore.

I've been having so much fun fishing the poison color I don't even bring other frogs with me anymore.

I'm pretty sure I've caught the most on Poison as well. Dirty White is second I believe.