I saw this telescopic rod on bass pro's website and was wondering if this comes with a reel?  If not, what type of reel works best on it?

This would be great for traveling.........hear a lot of good things about these bream poles

http://www.basspro.com/B-n-M-Original-BreamBuster-Pole-10/product/10212813/

That rod doesn't take a reel.  It's a crappie jigging pole.  They are 9'-12' long.  You run the line through the tip and then tie it off on the rod somewhere.  

hm, nifty.

are all telescopic rods this same style or do some come with reels?

is there an advantage of having a reel opposed to not having one on a telescopic rod?

Bass pro DOES sell a telescopic rod that has a reel seat (reels sold seperately). I was actually in the store yesterday and I played around with it while is was waiting to talk to the guy behind the counter. I think they also sell telescoping rod&reel combos online. From what i have seen, they don't come anywhere near the quality of having a solid 1-2 piece rod, but they absolutely can't be beaten on portability. I bought a telescoping set from a department store years ago before I was old enough to drive--- it was a heck of a lot easier for me to manage when I was riding my bike. I still love to throw it in my pack when I go hiking and I usually have it in the trunk when we go on vacation. I wouldn't in a million years consider making it my "go to" rod and reel, but it is fantastic for travel, and if you are looking for bream/bluegill, crappie, bullheads, or the occasional bass, it should do the job.

As far as choosing between one with a reel and one without, it depends on how you plan to use it. Obviously, there is the casting factor. If you want to be able to fish near shore, far from shore, anywhere in between, or on the bottom, get the reel. If you will be only fishing water that is in you immediate vicinity, you could get by with either one, it would just be a matter of preference. The one place that the 12 foot jigging pole excels where the reel does not is if you were planning to reach out and drop a bait directly into lily pads/weeds/timber without tangling your line. However, I don't imagine that this would constitute enough of your fishing to justify getting a straight jigging pole over the rod/reel combo, so I would consider going with the more versatile option.

good to know, thank you.

i travel every now and then for work and know at some point i will be near some type of a body of water that i could mess around in after work.

this would be perfect to take with me!

Hey I just noticed that you fish the Little Miami River in Ohio. I recently moved to the Montgomery/Blue Ash area on the northeast side of Cincinnati. I was considering fishing the LMR, because it is less than 10 minutes away. Do you have any suggestions on where to get access to it? I am without a boat at the moment, and so I haven't the slightest clue on where I can get shoreline access without having to pay or cross through private property.

good to know, thank you.

i travel every now and then for work and know at some point i will be near some type of a body of water that i could mess around in after work.

this would be perfect to take with me!

Highly recommended for travel, just check to rod every once in a while to make sure the guides are still lined up-- with the telescoping rods, sometimes the pieces twist a bit during use. Its very easily corrected, just keep an eye on it, I'd hate to see you get too much strain on ur line when you hook into something. Also, its very tempting, but never sling that thing like a sword to make it extend from its compacted travels form. The momentum puts a lot of force on the outermost sections and they can pull too tight and be almost impossible to collapse back down (learned that one from experience) . You obviously want each section pulled nice and tight, but don't overdo it.

Best of luck!