Sign in to follow this  
swagkid300

First Time Getting A Baitcaster

hey guys my birthdays soon, and i wanna treat myself to a new baitcaster.

i have never owned a baitcaster because i have only used a spinning reel my whole life.

are baitcasters better than spinning?

is it cheaper to get a combo (reel+rod) or buy it seperatley? is it cheaper online or in stores?

i have a $200 budget.

Better is very subjective... They are better when using certain baits and techniques. There's a time and place for both spinning and baitcasting.

There will be a large variety of suggested reels. Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Shimano, Lews, and many others. They are all good, all have their pros and cons, and all fit differently in your hand. If you're near a tackle shop, put a few on a rod in the shop and see which feels best.

Don't skimp though on a reel, especially when learning. Many times people will purchase a cheap cheap baitcaster thinking once they get the hang of it they will upgrade... The better the reel, the easier it is to cast and to learn, you'll experience less frustration and backlashes. 

I too think the BPS Pro Qualifier would be a good reel to learn off of.  It has all the gear ratios you'd want to choose from, casts great, and it has centri + mag brakes.  I think having both types of braking on your 1st BC is nice because then you get the chance to work with and understand both, which is helpful in making future decisions.

I too think the BPS Pro Qualifier would be a good reel to learn off of.  It has all the gear ratios you'd want to choose from, casts great, and it has centri + mag brakes.  I think having both types of braking on your 1st BC is nice because then you get the chance to work with and understand both, which is helpful in making future decisions.

sorry i'm a fish noob

what is the centri, mag brakes, and the gear ratios?

Better is very subjective... They are better when using certain baits and techniques. There's a time and place for both spinning and baitcasting.

There will be a large variety of suggested reels. Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Shimano, Lews, and many others. They are all good, all have their pros and cons, and all fit differently in your hand. If you're near a tackle shop, put a few on a rod in the shop and see which feels best.

Don't skimp though on a reel, especially when learning. Many times people will purchase a cheap cheap baitcaster thinking once they get the hang of it they will upgrade... The better the reel, the easier it is to cast and to learn, you'll experience less frustration and backlashes. 

Totally agree with what David said about buying a better reel.  Spend at least $100 above on the reel.    

Here's what I would recommend for that price range.  BPS JOhnny Morris CarbonLite is $109.97 now, and peer it with Berkley Lightning Rod(Shock Series Trigger Rods) $49.99-54.99.

When you get better, you can upgrade the rod, but the reel will do you well for a long time.  

The next range would be Skeet Reese Rods, Abu Garcia Veritas Rods, St.Croix Mojo Rods,  Shimano Compre.  These are all around $100.  

Buy the Dobyns Savvy Series 703C rod that is being sold in the flea market for only $90, and pair it with a Abu Garcia Revo S! That'll be right about your $200 range and a killer set up to last you for years. 

• Like 1

Buy the Dobyns Savvy Series 703C rod that is being sold in the flea market for only $90, and pair it with a Abu Garcia Revo S! That'll be right about your $200 range and a killer set up to last you for years. 

hey bro is there a chance i might be buying fakes in the flea market?

what is the centri, mag brakes, and the gear ratios?

Generally the higher the gear ratio, the more line that gets reeled in per turn. Many people recommend a 7.1:1 type ratio for bottom contact baits, and 5.4:1 for cranking for example.

There are two types of brakes - centrifugal and magnetic.  Most B/Cs have a removable plate that let's you access the centrifugal brakes.  Some B/Cs also have magnetic brakes that let you fine tune your braking.

Save yourself another $40 and get a Veritas and  Revo S, you will not have any regrets.

BPS Pro Qualifier is a great first reel and veritas MF or MHF would make a nice combo for you.

hey bro is there a chance i might be buying fakes in the flea market?

Use PayPal and do not send the money as a gift. PayPal gives you security. Not to scare you, but there's always risk of a scam, but I've done 50+ transactions on here and never had a single issue. Most people here are pretty cool.

I have heard the BPS pro qualifier/ Carbonlight is a great combo that is in your price range.

Just got this the other day and I absolutely love it.  If you can try to pair it with the microguides instead of regular guides.