Sign in to follow this  
DelcoSol

Christmas Is Coming Early For Me. Need Some Dobyns Help

Hey guys. I just got a side job and scored a few extra hundred bucks that is going to go for a new combo. I currently fish an Duckett and while its not terrible, I can't help but notice all of the Dobyns love on the board. My question is regarding the Champion and Extreme line. I am looking for a dedicated bottom contact rod for jigs and maybe C rigs. Part of me is curious about saving the cash and just getting the Champion, while the other is like to hell with it just buy it right once and be done. So, I think I am just going to go with the DX but can't decide on a 743 or 744. I currently do not have a heavy rod. Everything is up to MH. Does the heavier 4 power effect the sensitivity compared to the 3? I am usually throwing up to 1/2 oz jigs but rarely will throw a 3/4. 

Here is the best part. A local tackle shop just opened a few weeks ago and I was asking about Dobyns rods. The owner didn't know them but was interested. He then contacted a rep for Dobyns and he is having a demo in store with all of the models next weeekend. If anything is bought that day it is being sold at discount so I will most likely get one then. Also the rep is a rep for Lews at well.

Now, on to the reel. I am not trying to start the Lews vs Shimano debate. I currently have two Lews. a Tournament pro and a BB1 both of which I love, However, much like the love for Dobyns rods on the board I am curious about a Chronarch. My choices are going to be between an Tournament pro in 7:1 or a Chronarch 200e7. Does anyone fish these specific rods with either reel? How would you say they pair to eachother? I know that I can get the Lews cheaper. That is not my concern. Also is the Chronarch 50e smaller than the 200e? I like smaller but want a 7:1 ratio. Thanks for any help guys.  :occasion14:

the champion is n slouch in sensitivity but the DX just flat out shines for bottom contact baits. For what you are intending to use it for, the DX744 would be a great choice. the 743 is more of a senko or very light trig rod.  the 744 is the "do it all" rod ( i use it for trigs) and the 745 is THE jig rod in the series. Unless your local tackle shop is offering you a discount, wait until the black friday sales where you can get the DX line for around 250.00. The 4 power doesn't effect the sensitivity or lack it compared to a 3 power. the whole line is great.

The 50 size is smaller than the 200 series. I have 50 series shimanos on most of my Dobyn's rods. I just prefer them. If you want 7:1 in a shimano 50 size, you will have to get the core or a set of core gears for the chronarch. more specifically, i use a chronarch 51e on my dx744 /w 16# fluoro. I use the same size reels but different series (curado, chronarch, chronarchmg) on my champ 733,dx 743, both dx744s and dx745.The tournament pro is much closef in size to a 50 size shimano than the 200. I just took the lews plunge and am waiting on my TP to get here. it will be going on another 733.

you will be happy with either the champ 734 or dx744.

DX744 will be the rod you want. and i have a DX703 with a lews TP on it, the reel fits the rod great, and is a comfortable combo. i dont think you can go wrong that combo.

i'm also waiting for the black friday sales to pick up a 744.

i have the 703 and 745, but my friend swears by the 744, he fishes literally everything with it, frogs, jigs, worms, spinnerbaits, 4-5" swimbaits, deepwater football jigs, flip/pitch, he has a 200e7 and loves it just as much as i love my TP, just a personal preference. 

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking the same thing, unless this guy is giving 20% off I will end up waiting for black friday. I will have to get my hands on a 50e and 200e7 to compare the size. I don't want something too bulky and I can palm the Lews perfectly.

yeah, my next rod is eather gonna be the 744 or the new Powell TiMax that comes out in december, im looking at the 723 or 753 in that line.

Also is the Chronarch 50e smaller than the 200e? I like smaller but want a 7:1 ratio. Thanks for any help guys.  :occasion14:

The 50e is smaller.  I like the 50 sized reels much better.  They fit my hands better!  You can get a 50e and have the gears switched to a 7:1.  DVT can do it for you!

Jeff