bass crazy

Inverness,fl Vacation/fishing Trip

Going to be in Inverness 3 weeks in March and first week in April 2014. Renting a cabin on the Withlocoochee River, use of a free row boat  comes with the deal. So what what water temperature could I expect to see in the river.  Could any one suggest a productive selection of lures and colors to use. I would be bringing at least one baitcast and spinning rod setup. I have an aluminum bass tracker I could bring  but undecided on driving  down in the Suburban  or the economy car. So just trying to plan ahead and explore my options for the trip.

60 to 75 depending on the weather.

You will be in mid to post spawn.

The Withlacoochee River was the first Florida water I ever fished (1970s).

Back then, it was noted for giving up 'teeners', but I haven't heard much lately.

Now defunct 'Camp West' displayed a row of fish heads from double-digit bass

that were nailed across their dock bulkhead (I kid you not). We stayed in Dunnellon

and fished the so-called "Withlacoohee Backwaters", which was pay dirt back then.

Lake Rosseau near Inglis used to have standing timber and good bass fishing too,

but played second fiddle to the Backwaters. At that time, the locational key was

where hyacinth rafts merged with the river channel. Use the same lures you'd use anywhere else,

but in March you'll encounter a lot of shiner dunkers.

Roger

Couple years back I had a business trip to the area and stayed in a rental trailer on the River just south of the highway bridge. Postcard picture scenery. Didn't have time to fish but did scout out the area. Along with the river there is a small chain of lakes as you head into Inverness that has a fair amount of fishing boat activity on it. Also to the east of the river there is a lake (Panasofskee?) where I know Shaw Grigsby did a show out of. With all that time and all that fishable water, you might want to bring your boat.

Lake Pan has some big fish. A tagged 15 and 18 are swimming around in there somewhere. I hope to have pics of them in February. :)