Sign in to follow this  
curtis9

Bac Rac

I'm looking for some options to carry a few extra rods in my tracker, and put them in the back of the boat.  It also looks like it would useful when I bring someone new along.  

I came across the Bac-Rac in my searching (http://www.bac-rac.com/)

Has anyone here used this?  Does it work as well as advertised?  It's kind of pricey, but it looks pretty slick.

To me, it looks kind of clubby.  A misstep and you've broken a rod, maybe more.  Can't  you carry three or four extra rods for the back, to the left of the left seat?  A bungee cord where the rods rest against the carpet will hold them in place.  The tips will be in the air, but they'll be out of the way, close to the side of the boat.

Don't know how long bac-rac has been around, but here's a similar rod holder I made for my canoe in 2008.

DSC03360.jpg

I've got one and it's nice.  No hooks in seats or you, no tangles either.  Issues that can arise...  7'6" rods do over lap the sides of most boats (including a Ranger 522) so dragging Carolina Rigs can get dicey.  If your hatch is fairly narrow the reels will end up being out board of the rack. So when you unclip the rods there IS a tendency for the tips to pop up and whack you or potentially flip overboard.   On the right boat it's awesome.

I use one (as a co-angler) during tournaments and it is fantastic. I have put 8 rods in with no issues.

I've been using a Bac Rac for at least 3 years.  I always take it with me when I'm in another guy's boat and let anyone fishing with me use it if they so choose.