Sign in to follow this  
jlinmo

Bps Extreme Reel Help

Hello
I have a BPS Extreme (ETX10SHLB) reel that I bought a few years ago although not near as smooth as my curados I do still like it but it has started to mess up when I cast it then I turn the handle the cast button rarely comes up and locks into position which makes it a pain to fish with I have since taken apart and grease/oil it but still does the same thing I was wondering if there is something I can do to help it
Thanks
John

Exactly how in depth did you clean it when it was apart? Did you notice any excessive wear on any internal parts while it was apart? Did you remove the thumb bar itself from the frame and clean and oil it? If there's no excessive wear to the parts them these kind of problems can usually be solved with a thorough cleaning and properly relubing the reel again. From your description above I'm not able to tell if it was properly done or even reassembled right. I have 4 of these same reels now but mine are right handed versions. I've broke mine down lots of times and cleaned and relubed them. Rarely have mine had this same symptom but when they did it was always due to dirt buildup and lack of lube.

I took it completly apart and laid every thing out on a towel in order and clean/lubed it the reassembled in reverse order of how it was laid out I have taken my curados apart and done the same thing without any problems I didnt notice any excessive wear but I do plan on taking  it apart again soon I was just hoping to get an idea of any places to look at more closely

Thanks for your time

John

All you can do is start at the thumb bar and look at each part is succession involved in the clutch action. Look especially close at the plastic spacers on the frame and at the clutch dawg where the ratchet huts it.

Or send it to DVT for a thorough going thru.  Mike gives 10% discounts to bassresource members.  Guarantee it will come back working as good as...or better than...new.