Sign in to follow this  
Vinny Chase

Fishing Deep Diving Cranks W/ Leader?

This is a question for all of the guys who fish generally deep cranks in lakes with out toothy friends.

I use 10 lb P-line straight to the crank, but have lost a number of cranks in my life from bite offs. Would tying a 30+ flouro leader significantly improve me chances? Would it effect the action?

Thanks,

VC

I use leaders when I am specifically fishing for muskies, but that type of leader does not go over well with the bass. I'm thinking its just another aspect that makes it look unnatural.

#1 way I've reduced pike bite offs is to learn how to fish for them, and then not fish for them, LOL. Seriously though, I find I can tell its a pike chasing my crank. Not on the days when they are inhaling them, but following, and nipping. Bass just don't do this. I use graphite cranking rods, so I can feel quite a bit. When you get the "nippers," give them a quick hookset. You'll usually hook them on the back treble, and release is as simple as getting them up to the surface fast, and shaking the bait free. Yeah, I said shaking the bait free. Never have to touch the smelly gators, and you ensure a safe release for you an the fish, and you saved a ton of time. The last bit can be important in a tournament.

This is a question for all of the guys who fish generally deep cranks in lakes with out toothy friends.

I use 10 lb P-line straight to the crank, but have lost a number of cranks in my life from bite offs. Would tying a 30+ flouro leader significantly improve me chances? Would it effect the action?

Thanks,

VC

Yes, Flouro Leader will help.  I use Seaguar's Leader when up North.  You still could lose some, but that leader material is tough stuff.  30lb should be good.

Thanks,

VC

Yes, Flouro Leader will help. I use Seaguar's Leader when up North. You still could lose some, but that leader material is tough stuff. 30lb should be good.

Thanks cranker!

Floro leader definitely helps, I attach about a 8" section with a uni to uni knot, I have not noticed any killing of the action. J Francho brings up a good point when they are chasing, I usually try not hooking them though, just sweep and crank as fast as I can trying to discourage them, sometimes the stupid little ******* chase it down and still eat it though. I don't lose many cranks though, my big problem is jigs.... nothing ticks me off more than setting the hook and theres nothing there... I mean nothing, no jig, no fish, it gets irritating! :'(