12# mono

6'9" MH Veritas

Citica G 6:5:1

Unspooled right now

Spinning:

6'6" Light Damiki Angel Ex

Lews Speed Spin 200 5:2:1

8# Flouro

All my rods are two piece because I own a very small car. I have been exclusively bank fishing but recently got a kayak and a bigger car so I can get longer one piece rods now.

The spinning setup is used mainly for wading for smallmouth but can be repurposed now.

I also have about $450 to spend on a setup right now and would like suggestions on that. I was leaning towards the Chronarch Ci4 and a GLoomis rod but am open to anything you guys feel will help me out in the long run.

If you fish jigs and frogs then a heavy 7'x" is your next rod. The reel will be what you want, which is the ci4.

Or

A 7'x" moderate action for deep cranking

What will you use your next purchase for?

You will need to give us more information about your style of fishing and what presentations you use most. However, I would get a longer heavier rod in the 7'3" range and a reel with a faster retrieve for jigs/heavier t-rigs. I personally prefer straight fluorocarbon for these presentations, specifically Toray Superhard Upgrade in 16#, but I feel personal preference applies more here.

I do a lot of frog fishing but mainly stick to spinnerbaits and crankbaits. In the past year or so I've never gotten into jigs or soft plastics but plan on throwing a lot this year, mostly Texas and wacky rigged worms.

You will need to give us more information about your style of fishing and what presentations you use most. However, I would get a longer heavier rod in the 7'3" range and a reel with a faster retrieve for jigs/heavier t-rigs.

is there any other uses for a heavy action rod? I do own a couple of A-rigs butt haven't thrown them too much.

You should be able to throw lighter A-rigs with the same rod, though I might prefer a slower reel for that. It all depends on the total weight. I recommend getting into jig fishing. It is one of the most universal styles of fishing for nearly all species and will make you a better overall fisherman.

I do plan on getting into jig fishing this year. I've picked up about 10 jigs so far but have yet to use them. As of now could I get by using my MH Veritas with about 16# Flouro or mono for jigs if I needed to?

Yes you can, it just would not be my first choice. I use a 7'8" rod rated for 1/4-1oz and 12-25# line. I love the length of the rod for moving line on hook sets and I would actually prefer more power.

Now planning way ahead, what would be my next choice after the 7'+ Heavy action rod? After that would it be more personal preference rather than what I actually need?

I would also recommend a reel with a higher gear ratio(7:1 to 8:1) if you are wanting to get into jig fishing. Not that what you have wouldn't work but I prefer a higher ratio reel for my jig fishing. I use a Zillion 100HSA and an Aggrest for my jigs because I get the jig in where I want it and if nothing bites I want it out fast to make another cast.

I would get a cranking rod first, if it were me.  Many people consider Abu rods as rather stout iirc, so I would think it would cover jigs and stuff for the time being.  Put braid on the Veritas, and you could use it for jigs, frogs, spinners; Triumph for stuff under 1/2oz;  and the light rod for drop shotting maybe?  Then grab a MHM for trebles.

My only concern is if you are going to fish the Veritas in heavy cover, going above said route.  I have never used a 2 piece rod, and don't know how that would affect trying to pull a fish out of the slop. 

I agree that a cranking rod is in order after a jig stick. You will have a much higher landing ratio with treble hook lures if you use a rod with a mod-fast action.

I would get a cranking rod first, if it were me.  Many people consider Abu rods as rather stout iirc, so I would think it would cover jigs and stuff for the time being.  Put braid on the Veritas, and you could use it for jigs, frogs, spinners; Triumph for stuff under 1/2oz;  and the light rod for drop shotting maybe?  Then grab a MHM for trebles.

My only concern is if you are going to fish the Veritas in heavy cover, going above said route.  I have never used a 2 piece rod, and don't know how that would affect trying to pull a fish out of the slop. 

I had braid on it this past fall and it was doing fine with frogs. I've never had any problems compared to a one piece.

And as far value rods does anyone have any opinions on the St. Croix Mojo Bass technique specific rods?

I bought a Mojo last spring for spinner bait fishing, I love the rod but I just cannot get used to the split grip. It just not fit my hand, give it a try. Not for me

Lamiglas Excel II, 7'3" , 4 power; EXL 734 bait casting rod, $120 retail

Daiwa Tatula R-100XS, 8:1to 1, $199 retail

Sunline Super Sniper 12# FC, $30 retail

Contact Valley Sports, sponsor and save $$$

Tom

Cannot agree enough with what WRB said about contacting Ron at Valley Sports. Excellent customer service and he will save you money. Shoot him a PM or give him a call when you determine what you want.