Sign in to follow this  
backcast88

Trilence Xl Pro Fluoro & Spro Fat Papa 55

When I went to pick up my Shimano reels from a local shop I was browsing the tackle and picked up some Trilene XL Pro Fluoro in 8lb for my spinning reels and several Spro crankbaits.  I already have several Little John's but I picked up one in Cell Mate to add to my other colors.  I also picked up a Fat Papa 55 in Nasty Herring.

The Trilene XL Pro Fluoro is great.  I put some on my Symetre when I got home.  It is very very thin.  I have some Sunline Sniper in 8 lb and it seems thinner then that.  From my limited time fishing with it seems to handle as well on spinning gear as the Sniper.  Abrasion resistance appears pretty good but I'll know more when I am around docks and more structure then the small pond has.  So far it seems like it will work very nicely, especially on a spinning reel.

I made a couple casts with the Fat Papa at the pond and had several follow it.  It took me a little time to figure out what the fish wanted but once I did I managed to catch 2 in 2.5-3 lb range.  It has a very tight wobble and a one knocker sound.  I have been reading about how it is a good cold water bait.  That appears to be the case on my limited testing.  I was going to take the boat out tomorrow but the motor is still acting up and dad and I need to get it sorted out before going to the lake.  But when I make a trip to the lake I will have the Fat Papa tied on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review! I have been wondering about the new trilene.

After you fish the line awhile, resurrect this thread and give us an update.

:fishing-026:

That cell mate pattern worked well for me last season, can't wait to give it a go when ice is out!

I have had a chance to use the Trilene XL Pro fluoro several times since spooling it up the other week and I really like. 

It handles very well and is rather abrasion resistant.  The other day I was fishing around a lot of rocks and got hung up several times and managed to unstuck every time.  I had to retie several times but it wasn't needed each time I was stuck.  Today I was fishing docks and channel markers and only had to retie once after getting stuck between a submerged brace on a dock.  

The XL pro seems to be as abrasion resistant as Bass Pro XPS fluoro and Sunline Sniper.  If you have used either of those lines before then you know what to expect.  Sniper handles as good as the Trilene XL Pro and is far more available in my area and is several dollars cheaper.  As of right now this line is a valuable tool in my arsenal and when I use the last of my Sunline Sniper I will spool my other Symetre with 8 lb XL Pro.

I just bought some of this line in 8lbs to put onto my 2500 Sahara and just the feeling of it seemed different than Seaguar invisix-in a good way. I'm really excited to get out on the water and test this line out. I can't compare it to Sunline, I will be comparing it to Seagaur Invisx and Tatsu. Thanks for giving us your thoughts, hopefully I can give you guys a Seaguar comparison soon.