Sign in to follow this  
pbizzle

Rod For Pitching Jigs And Lighter T-Rigs To Docks

Pitching lighter (1/4-3/8) jigs to docks and similar structure has quickly become my favorite technique. I've been fishing this technique on a 7'MH rod, and I've done pretty well with it but I don't think it's ideal. The 7'MH is my all around rod and I'm tired of retying so much. I really want a rod for specifically target pitching. I'd like something shorter than 7' for better accuracy and because I've been known to accidentally hit the water or a dock with the tip. I'd like to keep it a MH with an extra fast or fast action. Also I'm not a fan of micro guides or EVA, but it's not a deal breaker. I've been considering either an All Star Nano 6'8 MH XF Jig Rod or a H20 Xpress Ethos 6'10" MH F . I will mainly fish 1/4-3/8 ounce jigs, beaver style baits with a 3/16-1/4 ounce weight, and senkos. I'm on a budget of a $100 MAX. I could get a Veritas or vendetta, but I've used models that my friends own and I enjoy fishing the Ethos more. The All Star Nano feels like the same rod with a different paint job, and it very well could be since they're both Academy brands now (All Stars are now only available at Academy). I think it's worth the price though. Any other recommendations would be great though, because I'm still open to anything.

Ive had great experience with St croix mojo bass rods. Sounds like you could use the mojo bass jig 'n worm rod. 6'6" MH fast tip. 4.1 oz, split cork grip. It is $110 though :wink2:

Ive had great experience with St croix mojo bass rods. Sounds like you could use the mojo bass jig 'n worm rod. 6'6" MH fast tip. 4.1 oz, split cork grip. It is $110 though :wink2:

That's close enough to $100 that I don't mind. I just fish on a 14 year old's budget so micro magic and other rods in that price range are to high. I'll look into them.

you can find the abu verdict 6'6" M/F on some places for as low as $60.00 shipped. I just picked up a 7' M/F  for light jigs and t-rigs.

Mitch

Falcon Original. It has a cork grip and regular guides and you can get it in a 6'6" mh/f for $99.99. It's also made in the USA. :eyebrows:  You should also check out Fenwick and St. Croix, they make rods around that price range with cork handles.

Il second that I love my mojo bass and I use a 6'8 mh fast LTB for all normal Texas rig and jig fishing. You will also find at that length you can skip a jig surprisingly well with a baitcaster it just takes a little practice lol

Tight lines

Andrew

I think the Fenwick Elite Tech smallmouth 6'9" medium power, extra fast casting is just what you need! It has a really small weight range of 3/8oz to 5/8oz but it handles 1/4oz jigs and T-rigs fine. It will also handle above the 5/8oz and I think a better rating would have been 1/4oz to 3/4oz but the 3/8oz to 5/8oz is right in the wheel house of the rod because of the extra fast action. If you want the medium heavy they have the same 6'9" casting rod but it is a medium heavy with a fast action, it is rated at 3/8oz to 1oz but it can handle 1/4oz no problem, it has a lot of backbone and it will surprise you because it is very light weight, the major difference between these rods besides the power is the handle. Now, because of the weights you use and the application you want the rod for makes both rods work and either will work well but if you prefer a shorter handle for pitching the medium extra fast will be the rod you want, if you like a longer, more traditional length handle, the medium heavy fast will be better. The best part is you get a lot of rod for the money,  The price is right there, Fish USA has them for $99.95 shipped I believe and you get a lot of rod for that price, extremely light weight and very sensitive, I believe it will work great for what you need it for.

I was pitching jigs with trailors under boat houses and docks at Tomahawk Lake in Minocqua WI. caught 3 to 5 lb large mouth Bass they were really active.Using a Abu Garcia Veritas MF 7' with garcia Mgx great combo.

Any rod below 7' would work excellent. A shorter Rod gives you more casting control in tight spaces. A 6'8 or 6'10 is an ideal rod for those conditions.

*** 6'10 medium might work great for you.

Basspro makes the carbonlite in 6'9" MH/XF. I use the 7' MH/F carbonlite for jigs and t-rigs and it works well. 

I'm 6' tall so I opt for longer rods usually a 7' denali Jadewood mh or Hvy or a kovert in 7'2 mh

Pbizzle, it all depends on height. Go for a rod that is your height plus about a foot or less. When standing on the boat, you will be about a foot over the water. This is for skipping however..

If you are just going to be pitching and casting towards a dock, which is not as effect IMO but still worth the time, I would go with a 7' regardless.

Pbizzle, it all depends on height. Go for a rod that is your height plus about a foot or less. When standing on the boat, you will be about a foot over the water. This is for skipping however..

If you are just going to be pitching and casting towards a dock, which is not as effect IMO but still worth the time, I would go with a 7' regardless.

I'm 5'9", but I'm only 14 and still growing alot. The doctor says I should be around 6'3" by the time I stop growing, but hopefully I can get a new rod by then. Lol. I have some super long arms though, and somehow they make me hit the water or a dock more than most. It's either that or I'm really careless, but either way I still enjoy a shorter rod, although I practiced all day with my 7' and I feel a lot better with it.