Its been a VERY long time since I have owned a spinning set up. When I did, I just used to throw senkos on it. Now I find myself wanting to expand my tatics to include some drop shotting and shakey heads. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a spinning set up for around $200? Also, what are you guys using for line?

That's a pretty open question. You could look at the spinning offerings of your preferred brands or try something completely different. A 6'6-7'0 medium power fast action rod and 2000-2500 size reel is a good place to start. Load that bad boy with 8lb mono or 10-20lb braid and have at it.

A great rod in your price range, especially for that technique is a Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth. Pair that with something like a Shimano Sahara and you have a great set up.

I second the Fenwick, but suggest a Symetre over the Sahara. X ship is worth the few extra bucks.

That's a pretty open question. You could look at the spinning offerings of your preferred brands or try something completely different. A 6'6-7'0 medium power fast action rod and 2000-2500 size reel is a good place to start. Load that bad boy with 8lb mono or 10-20lb braid and have at it.

Pretty hard to disagree with this.

Whatever feels right in your hand is going to work just fine, I try not to over complicate things.  I use different combos dependent on water conditions, not the fish.  

I have 2 Shimano Symetre 2500's and each is on a BPS Carbonlite rod (6'6"MHF and 6'8"MXF).  Both have 8 lb fluoro and make great setups. 

Wait until the next sale and get a 7'1 Med-Lt *** Green, a Symetre 2500FL, and some 8lb Sunline Sniper. I don't think you can find a better $200ish combo for dropshotting.

I just went through this selection process myself. I ended up with a 6'9" m Fenwick Elite tech smallmouth rod with a Daiwa lexa 2500 reel on it. I haven't been able to fish it yet but it balances great and the reel is really smooth. I also have a Symetre that I like a lot but I went with the Lexa to try something new.

Thanks for the replies. After some further research, I have narrowed the rod down to the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth, the Powell Inferno and the Dobyns Savvy 693. Im still not sure on the reel yet, someone suggested the Abu Orra s but I know nothing about it.

A few years ago all the Dobyns rods were getting rave reviews as the best thing since sliced bread....including the Savvys.  About a year ago you started to read the ocassional post from a few people admitting the Savvy wasn't the best rod if you needed sensitivity.  The previous statement is hearsay...and probably considered heresy by some.  :teeth:

I've got a couple of the Smallmouth rods, and plan on a couple more.  My 6'10" MF gets used for any lure within its weight range....although I am usually throwing something on the low end of that range as I have plenty of MH rods for the heavier lures.  Omens are the hot ticket right now.  I like mine, but like my Smallmouth rods even better.

I believe there was a post not long ago where the Orra S  got mentioned a couple times.  If I remember correctly, it was rated very good for its price.  Try searching.  Maybe you can find a little more on that reel.