Sign in to follow this  
Bass2124

Skipping Rod

What type of action is best suited for skipping.....and.... any suggestions on a rod that you prefer when skipping.  I am a novice when it comes to this technique but want to add that part to the game plan this year.

M or MH with a fast action is fine. Shorter rods make it easier. 6'6 or 6'8 is good to start with. A decent reel makes a huge differnce too.

If you have never done it before, use a spinning rod if youhave one. It will help get the mechanics down.

And if you haven't done a lot of skipping, one piece of advice is, you don't have to sling the rod hard, that is a backlash waiting to happen. It should be free flowing flick of the wrist and follow through .

How deep is you average dock? What type of lures did u have in mind. Any grass or vegetation ?

Go with a 6'6 to 7' rod depending on your height, and I would go with MH for the power. Action is where is gets tricky. I have met people who prefer a parabolic rod, and I have met people who prefer extra fast (opposite ends of the spectrum). I personally like a fast action so you can set the hook right away. Sometimes in the summer, the bass are a foot under the surface of the water, and will eat it as soon as it starts to sink at the end of the skip. You will need a rod that can set the hook easily so you don't miss these fish.

Reguardless of casting or spinning I like the length to be LESS THAN 7', and more than 6'. MH/fast works for me in the casting department, and M/fast works for spinning.

For skipping I use a 6'10 Medium Heavy Duckett White Ice. As other's have said 7'0" and under will work best, I would think just starting out a medium action fast tip would help but it will depend a lot on what type of lure you are skipping too. Lots of very good Rod brands to choose from out there. Good Luck.

If it's a baitcaster, I highly suggest it be a shorter rod, somewhere around 6' 6". You're gonna look for a rod with a softer tip, in order for your bait to load up well. Usually you're skipping to get back into harder to reach areas, which means theres a lot of potential for that fish taking you somewhere you don't want it to. Therefore, I also prefer a heavier action. It can be a hard combination to find, but you want soft tip, good backbone, but a lighter rod in terms of weight (Skipping can wear you out after a while).

The main thing is to pick a rod that will load easily with the bait weight you're throwing. My two favorite skipping baits are a Senko and an Ika, both weightless. I usually throw them with a Med-light or med respectively. I use a side arm casting stroke so I can get away with a 7'er. In general though  shorter rod is more accurate.

I really like to use a 7'MM rod! It really loads up well and allows me to put less effort in the cast. 

I got the St Croix Legend Tournament Bass "Skippin" rod.  It's a 5'10" med x-fast spinning rod.  Haven't used it yet, but was told it is a good pick.

I got the St Croix Legend Tournament Bass "Skippin" rod.  It's a 5'10" med x-fast spinning rod.  Haven't used it yet, but was told it is a good pick.

I have that rod and its a skipping dream!  Excels in any close quarters fishing.  Best with a light reel for balance.