Sign in to follow this  
coots

Technique For Bbz-1?

I know there is probably endless ways to fish this bait.

I just picked me one up and have my sights on a couple others in different patterns. Anyway, I'm new to this type fishing and was just looking for some basics to help me with WHEN to fish it, and a general principle of WHERE to fish it... and the techniques you guys have had success in doing so.

Bought this one from a local tackle shop... dad ended up buying a Bull Shad at the same time I bought the BBZ-1.... head to head competitions coming up?! Looks like it! ;)

On a more serious note, I am new to it also.  WRB, and Speedbead have excellent advice on swim baits.  I'd search their topics and their thread posts by clicking on their profile.  Endless amounts of info.  If your lucky, they'll comment!  :eyebrows:

• Like 1

What style did you get? Floater, slow sink, fast sink? You want to fish them in high percentage areas were you know bass live, specifically big bass. Try different retrieves until you get bit. That's why it's important to know that there are fish present. A general rule of thumb is if you think your fishing slow then fish slower. A slow steady retrieve is probably the most popular, but not always the key to landing fish.

What style did you get? Floater, slow sink, fast sink? You want to fish them in high percentage areas were you know bass live, specifically big bass. Try different retrieves until you get bit. That's why it's important to know that there are fish present. A general rule of thumb is if you think your fishing slow then fish slower. A slow steady retrieve is probably the most popular, but not always the key to landing fish.

very important to know if it's the floater, slow or fast sink.  that will help to narrow down the answers you'll get.  i have a floater, that thing swims awesome!  over grass beds and submerged cover is where i like to throw it myself.  

Sorry for the delayed response guys.

I bought the SPRO SB60 BBZ-1 Jr. Slow Sink in Sexy Lavendor Shad

I'm with this guys. Generally I use swimbaits in high percentage areas with a good combination of desired cover and bottom structure. Typically if I'm on a good bite and I'm working an area that is feasible for the swimbaits, ill switch to the swimbait looking for a big bite. BUT THAT'S JUST ME. I really like Spro slow sinks. I have 4 of the 4 inch shad swimbaits in slow sink and o really like the versatility. To be more specific, I can run it high near the top but hold my rod tip up and cranking slowly and I can also get it down. I like it best running slow over submerged hydrilla and milfoil.

I've had some success using swimbaits, but mainly smaller ones, I am by no means an expert.

I would suggest sending a pm to speedbead or WRB. Both them are known for using swimbaits and catching huge fish. There are plenty of big bait users but I can recommend these two becuase I have had opportunities to msg them with questions before and they were quick and kind with responses.

Thanks for the response. I'll try not to bother them to much for awhile. Maybe they'll see my thread and give me some pointers for starting out.

Check out Mike Long's YouTube video on swimbait breakdown on where and how he fishes them.  Yes he's a West Coast guy but has good info.  Also checked out the Southern Trout Eater's DVD when I got into fishing the bigger swimbaits.  Lots of useful info. 

Sorry, the YouTube video clip is Matt Allen and not Mike Long.

I had best success with the BBZ with a slow, steady retrieve, had to be around ambush areas also. I wasn't a big fan of the bait but it has pretty good reviews so hopefully it will work better for you. I like the Bull Shads much better but they're also more than twice as expensive so they should be a better bait.