Sign in to follow this  
jeff25

What Line For Swimbaits

I am just curios what line works best with swim baits? Generally I use SK shadilicious hollow bodies with a 1/8 locking swim bait hook. What's the best way to get them to stay down deep?

Generally speaking, when fishing deep water thinner line allows your lure to stay deeper as its less friction. Another option you have is putting on a heavier weight to keep it deeper. How deep are you fishing? Something I do is I fish Sibelle soft swim baits on a Carolina rig with a 1/2 ounce weight and 15 pound mono. I then fish it like a jig. Simply drag it on the bottom. I'm not familiar with your brand to know weather this will work for you though.

I am just curios what line works best with swim baits? Generally I use SK shadilicious hollow bodies with a 1/8 locking swim bait hook. What's the best way to get them to stay down deep?

1/2 oz-3/4oz spring lock gammy swimbait hook or an owner beast hook. You need to let it fall and count it down depending on your weight size. You can test rate of fall next to the boat or off a pier even.

to go along with the weighted gammy swimbait hooks I also use a weedless swimbait head by blade runner tackle but they come with a 5/0 hook so that is where my 6 inch basstrix go. also never more than 15 lb McCoy copoly...

My standard got to is 12# fluoro for my swim baits.  I find it strong enough to withstand most hangups ( and most are pulled through without losing the bait) and diameter is small enough to get it deep and move at a natural rate..

16lb Sunline Sniper. I like the fact that it sinks, the baits glide on the drop and that alone gets a ton of hits. Braid and mono don't allow for the same glide.