Sign in to follow this  
Smallmouth Hunter

Crankbait Rod

I need a cranking rod that fits all of the following:

1. Must be between 7'1 and 7'4. I would like to get a bit longer rod for longer casting.

2. Must be graphite, not glass or composite

3. Must be medium power, moderate action

4. Must be under $130

5. Must have a handle length longer than 13". Handle length is from the top of the lock nut down to the end of the rod. Fore grip is not included in this measurement.

I have searched quite a bit and can't really find anything. I am not particular about brands just as long as it is a nice rod for the price.

Thanks

I think you'll find the HOLY GRAIL, before you find that set up!

Eh.. Most rods have 13"+ handles. A lot of rods are priced under 130 obviously. There are lots of Med moderate graphite rods. The difficult part is finding a rod that is Med Moderate and between 7'1 and 7'4.

I need a cranking rod that fits all of the following:

1. Must be between 7'1 and 7'4. I would like to get a bit longer rod for longer casting.

2. Must be graphite, not glass or composite

3. Must be medium power, moderate action

4. Must be under $130

I am not particular about brands just as long as it is a nice rod for the price.

Thanks

If you find this please post your opinion of it.  I'm interested to see what it does for you.  Although I'm not sure why one doesn't like the composites? I have one and love it!

Fenwick HMG has 7'2" med fast action, med power... not sure of exact handle length

oe

If you're looking for 7'1 then why not just use a 7? that length range is going to be hard to come by in a MM.

I use a 7'2 MHM St. Croix legend xtreme that fits all of your requirements minus price.  I got the older (2012) model on closeout for nearly half price, but even at that It was still an expensive rod.  

I like the extra 2" that the rod gives me over various 7' models, but as previously mentioned it's much tougher to find a rod in those lengths as opposed to simply going with a 7' model.  

I love the rod, but only because I got it at a bargain price (and I'm a st. croix junky).  If I was to do it all over again I can't say for sure that I wouldn't go for a cheaper, less sensitive 7' rod.  After all sensitivity is always a nice thing to have in a rod, but not as necessary in a treble hook rod as it is a bottom contact rod.  

Powell Endurance 

7'2 MHM, yes its a MH but Powell rods are lighter than listed, its graphite, is $199 retail but you can easily find them for $130-140

your not gonna find a better cranking rod for that price. and YES the handle is 13-3/4

now go buy it

Funny thing is, that a lot of your really low end graphite rods are very moderate in action with soft backbones.  It's fairly difficult to get a true fast action out of a rod. 

I've had a number of cheap sticks that have been used as cranking sticks over the years and they have done well.  I still toss some of my lighter weight bala cranks on a Quantum Dance Class 6'6'' M.

If you're looking for a new all graphite moderate rod, take a look at the 7' M Abu Vengeance.  That rod is definitely a true moderate and the power is accurately rated as a medium.