Sign in to follow this  
Muad Dib

what hooks do you put on 1/2 oz red eye shads?

saw kvd saying how he changes out his hooks. saw that he throws on his kvd triple grips. size number 2! these things are huge. but the number 4's look a lil small cause of the short shank.

what do you guys put on your cranks and 1/2 oz red eye shads?

Wow, when i thought i had heard it all, the most asinine remark to date on BR.  Thanks Wayne!  I replace ALL my crankbait hooks with triple grips, on the red eye, 4 on front 2 on back.

it comes with vmc hooks...thats good enough for me, and when hooks get dull i just sharpen them, it ts almost as good and saves me tons of monnney :P

I don't find the hooks on Redeye Shads to be too offensive, unlike the rest of SK's crank line up I don't change them right out of the box (the KVD Square bills have decent hooks too). I fish the stock hooks till dull,bent, or I just feel they need to be changed, then I put Mustad KVD's on them. I just go with the stock size, #2's on 3/4oz, and #4's on the 1/2. I don't have a problem with them set up like that.

I use the hooks that come on them.  Like every other crankbait I get, I take them out of the box, test for sharpness, then hone them if necessary.  Haven't lost a fish on them yet.

As for TripleGrip trebles, I received  a couple of boxes to test back in my outdoor writing days.  I'd heard a lot of good about them, so I set about swapping them onto my favorite cranks.  The first 2lb smallmouth that loaded on turned those hooks into pretzels :P !!  I'm talking bent and twisted so badly they had to be tossed.  When I got home, the old hooks went back on again.  To be fair, the new short shank KVD model looks to be a lot stouter than the originals.  I may give those a shot if/when the originals are worn out.

Wow, when i thought i had heard it all, the most asinine remark to date on BR. Thanks Wayne! I replace ALL my crankbait hooks with triple grips, on the red eye, 4 on front 2 on back.

He statement isn't asinine , it's just his opinion , we're all entitled to our opinions , even you.

well the "elite" triple grip is 2 x short 1x strong. maybe ill just stick with the gamakatsu ewg trebbles.

maybe ill just stick with the gamakatsu ewg trebbles.

Are these a short shanked hook?

I put #2 Gamakatsu Short Shanks on and change out the split rings as well. IMHO the equipped hooks and split rings are junk. I've had both fail on numerous occasions.

Actually, I change them on most SK hard-baits that I buy.

Wow, when i thought i had heard it all, the most asinine remark to date on BR. Thanks Wayne! I replace ALL my crankbait hooks with triple grips, on the red eye, 4 on front 2 on back.

You obviously haven't been here very long.  ;D

LOL, I've heard much worse advice.