Sign in to follow this  
Wbeadlescomb

Idea For Carolina Rig May Or May Not Work

I use braid on a lot of my rods Carolina rig included. Ever since I learned to tie the improved Albright to attach a mono/flouro leader to braid I've been thinking I could do away with the swivel on my Carolina rig anyone tried this I figured weight two beads then tie the flouro leader to my braid and the beads hit the knot

If you are using braid and a leader, I'd stick with the swivel. I use a 40-50 lb braid and a much lighter copolymer leader so if it hangs, you can break off and save your beads and weight. Now I do use a lighter finesse version, but that's with a Carolina keeper and no leader.

• Like 1

I mean I guess if you think about it, it will do the same thing more/less. You could maybe even argue that one less knot is a good thing, one less thing to go wrong. I don't really see a reason not to use a swivel though, It keeps the bait running true and you risk less chance in losing weights in a break off situation. I mean people use it with a swivel because its effective and proven, no need to fix something that isn't broke! 

I mean I guess if you think about it, it will do the same thing more/less. You could maybe even argue that one less knot is a good thing, one less thing to go wrong. I don't really see a reason not to use a swivel though, It keeps the bait running true and you risk less chance in losing weights in a break off situation. I mean people use it with a swivel because its effective and proven, no need to fix something that isn't broke!

Exactly and I don't like the idea of losing a 1.5 ounce tungsten weight that's 7 bucks I don't have to throw away tight lines

Andrew

• Like 1

I'd use the swivel myself.  I don't see it as much of a hindrance and it allows you to recover the weight during a break-off.  Why not go mono for a leader?  I would assume the sinking nature of fluorocarbon would impede the falling action of the bait?  This is assuming identical visibility between flurocarbon and monofilament lines, per reality.       

I've used a sinker peg to make a fast C-rig when I didn't want to take the time to tie up a regular one. It works fairly well as long as you aren't on a snagging bottom because the sinker will keep pulling down towards the hook.