Sign in to follow this  
ak47soulja22

Advice With Quantum Reel

Ok this is my 1st experience with a quantum reel, I tried to find reveiws and information on this reel before I bought it at bass pro but couldn't find anything really. The reel is a KVD 7 to1 ratio baitcaster, the model number is KV700HX it is a 2012 model. So here we go......

I recently bought a reel at bass pro about a week ago or so, the reel model number is KV700HX. The reason I bought it, was because it was on sale for 69.99. When I got it home I did a over view of the reel and saw that there was a small screw missing on the top right of the reel. I took the spool out and planed on cleaning it and relubing it. Another problem I saw is the plastic piece in the front of the reel is broke, where the screw goes into the reel to tightin the plastic piece. That isn't a huge issues but didn't expect those to be there from a new reel.

Another, problem I have is the star drag broke, not the function of the drag but a tip of the star. I have not been able to fish this real yet.

I emailed quantum and they said they have a 1year warranty and that I could send it in to them for fix (at my expense), or I can return or exchange it at bps. My reason for the post is to get an idea on others experiences with this reel if I should return or exchange?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Take it back.

yeah, take that thing back and exchange it for something better….  that many problems/quality control issues from the start is a sure fire bad sign….

Take it back.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but just wanted to see if anyone has any input on the reel. I know I'm not paying to have it sent back to quantum.

just exchange it for the same reel, but take the new one out of the box first and inspect it. for 70 bucks thats a pretty good reel. 

Mitch

Always examine your reels prior to buying them. When buying at BPS, I usually go through three reels (of the same model) before I decide which I'd like to buy. 

Always examine your reels prior to buying them. When buying at BPS, I usually go through three reels (of the same model) before I decide which I'd like to buy.

I did a little one thing is, it was the last one other than their display. But even with a quick visual check I wouldnt have found the few issues with the reel.

just exchange it for the same reel, but take the new one out of the box first and inspect it. for 70 bucks thats a pretty good reel.Mitch

Thanks for the reply, curious have you had any experience with the reel? If so good or bad. I known I haven't had the best of luck with it so far.

What mjseverson said good reel for 70 bucks. But ask yourself why was it 70 bucks sounds like BPS put someone's return or exchange or floor model up for sale. I would definitely take it back to BPS.

Ive had experiences where Im sure things got returned to stock without being checked out and then sold to someone else (me). All of my reels are Quantum and I have had very good service from them through the years.

• Like 2

Take it back and if you are going to get a reel that is on the lower end from Bass Pro then get a Pro Qualifier. I don't mind Quantum reels, I love my Smoke 100 and 150 but those KVD reels are not the Tour KVD, those are a Bass Pro Shops exclusive reel made just for them, most reels like that only last a little while, you usually get what you pay for and with reels like the Pro Qualifier and the Lews Speed spool right around the $100 dollar mark, then there is no reason to buy these reels and for the Lews, I'm not talking about the laser speed spool but simply speed spool.

KV700HX is what is called a signature reel, not supported by the reels MFG.

When Quantum told you to send it in, meant they were going to replace it not repair it.

IMO all rebrands, and signature reels are a waste of money...

again just the toughts of an old service tech...:Victory:

KV700HX is what is called a signature reel, not supported by the reels MFG.

When Quantum told you to send it in, meant they were going to replace it not repair it.

IMO all rebrands, and signature reels are a waste of money...

again just the toughts of an old service tech... :Victory:

thanks for the information... i took the reel back for a refund. thanks everyone on the inputs

Sounds like you got one someone else took back.  Having quite a few Quantum's, go exchange it for the same model.  The only thing I would do to it when you get it home is oil it.  I have 2 Codes, 2 Accurists, 2 Kenetics, and just purchased an EXO, all work great with a couple drops of oil once a month.

Take it back and if you are going to get a reel that is on the lower end from Bass Pro then get a Pro Qualifier. I don't mind Quantum reels, I love my Smoke 100 and 150 but those KVD reels are not the Tour KVD, those are a Bass Pro Shops exclusive reel made just for them, most reels like that only last a little while, you usually get what you pay for and with reels like the Pro Qualifier and the Lews Speed spool right around the $100 dollar mark, then there is no reason to buy these reels and for the Lews, I'm not talking about the laser speed spool but simply speed spool.

What smalljaw said. The PQ or Speed Spool are both better options, IMO.