Sign in to follow this  
Mikell

Larry Nixon Berkley Rod?

Anyone heard of these? Did he once endorse berkley for their rods? Most research turns up dobyns rods?

The reason im asking is a local guy says hes got one for sale, and before i drive to look at it I was wanting to know if anyone has any info on them?

Thanks in advanced!

Larry Nixon was sponsored by Abu Garcia which is under the pure fishing umbrella which owns berkely. Maybe he used berkely rods in the past but he was cut by Abu and now is sponsored by Dobyns

Im thinking late 90s he had signature stuff through abu/berkely with some rods pro tournament i think.i do know hes been with abu for a long while

Yeah I think there old rods, like 10 years ago that series was out... Can the guy send you pics of the rods?

He may have had his name associated with some Series One rods at some point, but I am not 100% sure.   Ask Catt, I think he might know.

Nixon was one of the many long time Diawa guys who was flushed out after 20 years or so. He spent some time with Abu before being dropped/separated. Gary Dobyns is now providing Nixon's rods for 2013/2014. I have followed his career for over 30 years and I don't recall him having a Berkley based rod.

Edit:  I stand corrected Catt.  It was Fenwick and I confused Nixon with Jay Yelas when Yelas, Braur and Cochran were 86'd by Diawa.

Larry Nixon was sponsored by Abu Garcia which is under the pure fishing umbrella which owns berkely. Maybe he used berkely rods in the past but he was cut by Abu and now is sponsored by Dobyns

Well that would make his favorite rod change !!!

He was Fenwick for years but I don't recall him ever with Berkley rods. His switch from B.A.S.S. to FLW cost him sponsors as it did many others who switched. He's still with Chevy trucks & Stratos boats.

Pure Fishing seems much more predominant in FLW, you'd have to wonder why.

• Like 1

idk if he can or not but if its that old would it be worth purchasing? lol

and since theres been mention of FLW he also said he had a FLW pearl platinum rod? any info on that one?

Pure Fishing, FLW, WalMart had a series of Rods, Reels, Line, Lures, & Termanal Tackle. The WalMart ads, flyers, displays had pictures of FLW Pros Larry Nixon was one.