flyfisher

Just A Little Venting Here....

nothing too exciting but my current class is my 5th one and it is a 4 credit masters level class involving teaching reading.  I know i tend to be old school in a lot of my thoughts and methods but I have to say, the excuses and accommodations that are standard for the course just don't fly with me.  Yes I understand that students are different and all students learn differently but accommodating to every student defeats the purpose of education.  I suck at multiple choice tests, they are boring and i don't feel they accurately test a student's knowledge but i am pretty good with essay and short answer tests.  There are many schools that provide different tests to the same group of students based on their testing strengths.  

This to me is dumb.  If you aren't good at something you work at it and get better, not just test on your strengths.  It will be my job as a teacher to use all the different testing methods and even if a student isn't as good at one style or another, I am responsible for balancing out the different assessment types to ensure in the end, the student has learned what they were supposed to learn and made their weaknesses a little stronger.  It is ok to do poorly....

I have a feeling that this is going to be my biggest struggle when i get a class of my own but hopefully i can move up the food chain a little and help to shape a school or district in a way that is beneficial to students, parents and teachers alike....

Ok...rant over :) 

Just give everyone a trophy.....

• Like 1

Just wait, with the new common core you will want to beat your head into the wall. That's why we home school.

• Like 1

I really respect anyone that can teach children. Especially anyone that cares about the kids. I would never be a good teacher. I teach anyone like my dad taught me. I told you once, now do it.

I'll tell you a story about passing a multiple guess test. It was while I was in the Air Force. We always had a class and test on something. One day I was in a ornerier than normal mood, so I took the test like this. Question one, look at my watch, the second hand is in the 2nd quadrant, the answer is B. Went through the entire test that way and yes I passed.

• Like 1

It's Hanover County where you work????

If so, be happy as you could be working in the City of Richmond.

Is your class at VCU? If so, that explains a lot about your frustration.

If it is UR I am surprised at what you are being told.

Hang in there and sooner or later you will be an Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and you can work to making beneficial changes.

Only problem is that you will probably do this at a small rural division, like Caroline, King William, King & Queen, Northumberland, West Point and other smaller divisions.

Good luck. Just get that Masters and keep on doing what you know is best for the students.

• Like 1

Flyfisher it has been a couple of years since I've taken any classes. As an old guy, it seems that most teachers are too concerned about looking good based on class grades and student reviews, and not concerned enough about making sure the students have a real understanding of the material covered. What that does, in my opinion, is make the teachers who really care stand out. Be one of those and don't worry too much about the rest of the $#@! that goes with the job. Of course that may not get you promoted, but it will let you sleep well at night knowing you are making a difference. Good luck! 

Thanks everyone for the comments. I honestly believe the intent is good and every teacher I have worked with has been great and concerned more about the kids than anything and I plan to be the same way.

One quick side note. There is nothing wrong with common core standards. What people are missing and don't understand is that common core are just standards and not curriculum or lessons and they only cover language arts and math. Common core is also not a federal government program but it is an effort driven by educators from many states. Much of the things I see written and talked about is so wrong and the blame is being placed in the wrong place. Common core is a standard and how that standard that is met is up to the school or state as to how they want to do it.

I happen to be in a state that hasn't adopted the common core standards we just have the crappy SOL system instead which is worse in my opinion.

Being a teacher is extremely frustrating these days, I hear my daughter-in-law voice the same frustrations.  That you care enough to vent is a step in the right direction not only for you but for all your students as well.

You better get used to it and follow accommodations closely. I teach 8th grade.

Yes, there is a lot of misinformation out about common core. A lot of what I have heard discussed in workshops would actually require more critical thinking and less testing for the sake of testing. In theory it sounds like a great approach, is application may be much different.

You better get used to it and follow accommodations closely. I teach 8th grade.

Yes, there is a lot of misinformation out about common core. A lot of what I have heard discussed in workshops would actually require more critical thinking and less testing for the sake of testing. In theory it sounds like a great approach, is application may be much different.

People are quick to blame the big bad federal government when in reality the common core is not a federal program and a school's curriculum is created at the school, district or state level.  So while the animosity may have doe basis, the angst is being directed towards the wrong people.

it is a tough one too because how do you know if a school/student is successful without testing but that is what everyone complains about.