Hi , Ive been having some issues lately with my braid always getting stuck , Im using 30lb braid on a *** baitcasting reel.. I'm spooling it up tight when putting it on but sometimes when I cast it just gets caught up and then birdsnest ??  What am I doing wrong , Any help as always is appreciated ...  

You are most likely having digging in issues where the braid digs into itself on the spool and gets wedged between layers of line. When you catch a fish, you will often have line dig somewhere in the spool so make an easy cast after catching a fish so you don't put too much stress on your line.

Good tip, I sometimes get bird nested with braid for no reason. Now I know what to do.

What brand are you using? Some are terrible about that! 

yeah its mostly likely digging , just do what aprw1 said. it happens to me sometimes on my 65lb power pro while frogging. ive slung a few frogs a mile because of that 

Here is my reply in the other post about this problem.

Hi carlm01,

I use 30lb braid on several bait casters with no problems of dig in. There are times that it digs in but that is after a hook-up or snag. If you catch a fish or snag you have to pull off the line past the dig in and rewind. Winding on tight helps with a solid base but once you cast a few times the line you are using is no longer packed like before. If you hook a snag and straighten out a hook, then you have a dig in and must remove it before you cast again.

Frank          

Thanks Frank,  I just spooled up a new reel and that may be the reason , I use it on 2 other B/C reels and don't remeber it being an issue but it was last summer ?  

I have used that same line for 5 years and can only think of two times when it dug in like you have experienced. One was when I hooked into a 25# carp, the other is when I hooked into a 20# flathead. 

I have no idea why yours is doing that. 

So far the advice given is spot on. Common in braid. It's not a brand thing. The line is digging in after working off a snag or a catch. I usually cast out knowing there is going to be an issue with digging in, and I will spool out line by hand and then reel it back in and continue fishing. 

It could be backlash?  Braid will absolutely rocket off a reel faster than anything else out there.  Centrifugal breaking is highly recommended to keep the spool RPM under control.  Forget any d**n magnets.

• Like 1

Try and give it a good soaking of KVD line conditioner as well.  I do that with every reel just to condition it before I take it out for the first time.  I know PowerPro does have a little break in period before it looses its stiffness.

If a fish is taking out drag the line should not dig in, you might be setting the drag too tight.  Bigger fish take out more line, doesn't mean you should be tightening the drag.