Sign in to follow this  
FlipSide

Powell Diesel 705Cb Question

Would this be a good rod for throwing square bills? I'm looking for a decent priced rod to throw these and for 50 dollars doesn't seem like I could find a better value

Tackle warehouse has great customer reviews on this rod i actually jjust got mine in the mail so ill look it over and let ya know

My personal opinion....no. I had that rod and found it to soft for banging and crashing square bills off stuff. It would be okay for open water. I found it really excelled at fishing cranks in the 12 to 17 foot range. Glass isn't for everyone. The rod is super light though.

it is super light, i havent been ablet to fish it yet but i feel its gonna do great, casts well though handles great.

I went ahead and ordered one, if I don't like it for square bills I'm sure I will be able to find another use for it. I don't have mid depth cranking rod so either way it will work out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

squarebills is actually what i bought this for too shallow to mid diving i cant wait to get out and fish it

I can't either. Should be here tomorrow, got a lews bb1 to pair with it. Gonna take it out this weekend and see how i like it. I'll post up my thoughts after I try it out

I like a Mod action glass rod for deep cranking and a Mod-Fast for square bills and ripping traps off the weeds.

It's a mod fast so hopefully it works well.

Yes. I have used it for 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 squarebills with no real issues. It wouldn't be my first choice to throw 1.0s with, but it will do it. As I look at it, there's a 100 series on it right now. I have a cheap 6 1/2' M moderate fast graphite I prefer for the smaller ones. I have also thrown up to a 6XD on it and haven't felt it was underpowered.

Got it in today, gonna go try it out tomorrow. Paired it with a lews bb1, feels very well balanced.