Sign in to follow this  
Jim Mac

Who Gave Up Their Boat For A Kayak ?

If so, what was your reason? What kayak did you buy? Are you in a mild climate?

I think about selling my jon boat sometimes, but I think I would miss it in the spring and fall's cool temps.

I currently have a 16' flat bottom jon and a Mini X kayak. I sold my outboard a couple years ago because I rarely used it.

Thanks for your input.

I roll with two boats and a kayak. Would not want to give up any of them, but might sell both boats. Always got to have a way to get off the bank.

Why might you sell the 2 boats? When the weather gets cold, do you tend to use the boats instead of the kayak?

One is an 18' aluminum, the other a 22' Bullet. I'd like something in between, maybe a 20' Bullet or Stroker.

I have 2 regular fishing boats plus a 8 ft BassHunter.  Lately the BassHunter has gotten the most use since it fits in my Toyhauler camper and always goes with me camping.  Making two trips to go get a real boat is just too time consuming and expensive.  I have probably caught as many if not more fish using this little rig.

I have both a boat and a kayak.  Only way I would sell my motorboat is if I could no longer afford the maintenance or it had a huge mechanical problem that I just could not fix.  It is completely paid off so there is no monthly expense.  I like having the kayak to get out in because I don't have to worry about launch fees and it opens up different small waters to me, but I love having the motorboat too.  It's the best of both worlds. 

My largest "boat" is a 16 foot canoe, but i mostly fish alone from my 10 foot kayak. The main reason is I can carry the kayak on my shoulder and it only takes 5 minutes to get off the roof rack and on the water. I use my 16 foot canot for when I fish with someone else.