Sign in to follow this  
Live.2.Fish

How to Change hooks on crankbaits

Now that winter is here is was going through my tackle today and it looks like I need to replace some of my hooks on my crankbaits.  I am wondering if there is a special tool that makes splitting the rings open easy, because I tried to do it and it was really hard to try to get the hooks off.  I would like some advice on how you guys change your hooks on your baits.  Thanks.

I've been wondering about this as well recently.

I was just wondering the same thing, and coincidently pretty much asked the same question.  The response i got was to use split ring pliers, yea didnt know they made them either.

Guest avid

SPLIT RING PLIERS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO. UNLESS YOU HAVE STEEL FINGERNAILS. $4.99 AT BPS AND WORTH ALOT MORE. I USE THE SAME ONES AS AVID AND THEY WORK GREAT.

Split ring pliers do work, however sometimes they are a bit large and awkward for smaller lures. I use a small folding pocket knife. It works great, just be careful so you don't get cut. My knife is kind of dull so that has not been a problem.

Now that winter is here is was going through my tackle today          

Winter is a great time for fishing.

split ring pliers are the only way to go when replacing split rings

kb here   i dont use the pliers   i use a farley good size saftey pin the point opens the ring up  then just slide the point down it will open the the gap to remove or replace hooks kb :;)

Split ring pliers do work, however sometimes they are a bit large and awkward for smaller lures. I use a small folding pocket knife. It works great, just be careful so you don't get cut. My knife is kind of dull so that has not been a problem.

Texas Tackle makes pliers that are outstanding (and expensive). The small size is excellent on small-to-medium split rings. They're available at Cabela's for an arm and a leg.

i315386sq01.jpg

I purchased some split ring pliers, but I can do it twice as fast with my finger nails.  I just split it with my fingernail, and with my fingernail still in the ring, force the hook on.  I'm not sure if you have picked out some hooks yet, and while any of the name brand hooks  work well, I prefer the Daiichi 4x trebles and purchase them in the 100 packs.  Most of the name brands are $5-$6 for 8 or 9 hooks, but Daiichi sells the 100 packs for $25.  This will save you money in the long run, but if you only have a few cranks I guess it won't matter.

Guest avid

Funny, but the same is true for me.  I rarely use the pliers for split rings, but I'm addicted to those little pointy "bullshot" splitshot.  I have them in all sizes from 1/64 on up to 1/8 and use them all the time.  This is where the pliers come in handy.  That and also as a hook remover.

Thanks for all the great advice!  I have quite a few baits so I will probably take The_Natural's advice and buy in bulk.