More baitcaster questions :angel500:.

I've never fished with braid with a caster before; just had a couple of questions:

• Any difference with casting it as opposed to mono? Besides thickness, obviously
  • Is it good for an all-round rod I will be using for all techniques? 
  • Can you put more yards of line on than mono or flouro?

More baitcaster questions :angel500:.

I've never fished with braid with a caster before; just had a couple of questions:

• Any difference with casting it as opposed to mono? Besides thickness, obviously -- Mono wants to spring off un-wind from the spool braid will stay in place, braid less issue with line twist and no coiling of the line. Braid can dig which could be an issue casting it. 
  • Is it good for an all-round rod I will be using for all techniques? I feel its good all around use, can add leader of fluoro if wanted for abbrasion.
  • Can you put more yards of line on than mono or flouro? Pound for pound yes more braid can fit on spool.

The first two questions are subjective, though I'd say not really to both.  I cast both equally as well, in much the same way, and for all around use, I prefer a strong copoly, like CXX.  The third depends on what diameter line you are using.

• Like 1

Not much difference to casting in my mind. It's little more forgiving on casting gear if you make a mistake, but make sure you are careful about pulling on something too hard and causing the line to dig into itself.

It can be great for all around use if you don't mind tying leaders. I don't use straight braid often. Usually only when I'm fishing heavy stuff and getting reaction strikes. But braid is great main line, and you can tie on leaders that are a variety of lengths and pound tests depending on what type of fishing you are doing.

As far as capacity, you can obviously put more braid on "pound-for-pound" because it has lower diameter. For the most part, with bass fishing equipment, reels have more capacity than they practically need anyway, so many people use lower priced line, like mono, as backing so they don't need so much braid to fill the spool. If you look at at a spool of 30 lb test braid, that's about the same as 8 lb. mono. It might take over 200 yards of that line to fill the spool, which is more than you get with a typical filler spool. Usually only in saltwater applications are you very concerned with maximizing line capacity, so it really isn't a deciding factor as far as what type of line to choose for bass fishing.

There are a number of other factors related to the lines stretch, buoyancy, etc. to consider when choosing a line type for a particular setup.

I agree with J and now a days I also would take CXX over anything. I presume you are newer to using casting gear and CXX would be bad for you probably unless you get some KVD L&L. For any other line I would say 15# is a good do it all line but for CXX I would go 12#.

I think he wants to try braid....for that, start with 50# Power Pro, 832, or Tuf-Line XP.  I'm sure there are similar lines, but those are easy to find and not too expensive.

Braid is certainly nothing to be intimidated by. I would recommend that you stick to the tried and true brands like J Francho mentioned. They are relatively affordable, particularly when you consider how long they should last. You can buy even cheaper braids, but super cheap braid is super cheap for a reason. Plenty of people have bought the lowest price stuff to introduce themselves to braid, and decided they hated braid all together. I'm sure the same can be said for people getting into fluorocarbon, for that matter. Pinching pennies in this case won't save you anything in the long run.

One thing I like about PP is the 150 or 300 yd spools, many other brands the spools are 100 or 125 yds.