Sign in to follow this  
Bucketmouth King

Trouble With Shimano Spinning Reel

So my girlfriend has 3 of the same spinning reel: shimano sonora 2500fb. Two of them started acting weird today. The third she has never used, but when compared to the other 2, worked without issues.

The 2 with the same problem seem to be rubbing something when cranking under load- say, reeling in a 1/2 oz lure. When reeled without a lure, its smooth and doesnt seem to rub anything. I also noticed that it only does this (under load) when the spool is nearest the rotating bail assembly in its travel. Once it starts to travel away from the rotating bail assembly, the problem dissappears.

Any suggestions as to whats wrong and what I could fine tune ?

*note- both seemed to have a loose bail assembly (part that spins). I removed the spool and tightened the nut, and the wobble is gone, but the "rubbing" and "clicking" sound is still there under the same mentioned conditions.

It's hard to tell without seeing it. But if the noise comes and goes as the spool oscillates it sounds like the inside of the spool is rubbing on the rotor. Make sure part # 3455 http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Spinning/09SON2500FB_v1_m56577569830654503.pdf spool washers are present. You can add one too but too many or too few and the line will pile on one end of the spool or the other. Beyond that, it may need more than adjusting

Yes. Those parts are present.

She did have the drag cranked down pretty tight before. I loosened it and set it using a 3 lb weight prior to her noticing the problem.

Tried adding an extra washer as suggested. It didnt help. It may have amplified the problem, but I might be imagining that.

I'd put some chalk inside the spool and crank it and see if it shows rub marks. That might show you what's out of alignment. I'd look at it for you but honestly, you'd be close to replacement cost by the time it's done.

So I tore these things completely down, cleaned and lubed everything. Put them back together and they seem to be working fine for now.

• Like 1