Sign in to follow this  
stratos285

Down Or Side Or Combo Units

Could you give us a little more info on what your needs are?

that's what I dint know. In the winter I drop shot and spoon and Alabama rig mostly but also summer ledge fishing so I just need something that I can see contour , structure , and locate minnows and fish. I know this is not probably much info but I am not sure I can explain any better . Just want a unit under 1000.00 and don't know which one I need

I'm not sure that you can get a good side and down in that price range.  I use side for locating cover like logs and lay downs that are below the surface.  Then I mark them and fish them either fan casting or vertical.  I use down scan most as I can see the limbs and brush piles and sometimes the fish in and around them.  If you can find a unit that you like, go for both but for me down is the most important.

I rarely use the DI option on my SI units. I use the SI when ledge fishing more to detect the ledges than actually look for fish on the ledges. When locating bait, SI, DI, and 2d are all a good way to do it. For under a grand, look into the Humminbird Helix or a used 8XX, 9XX, or 11XX series unit. I don't have any experience with Lowrance.  If you have a big box retailer you can visit, go and play around with the display models. I know with Humminbird, when the unit is in simulation mode, just about all of the functions are operational, except for gps. The Helix DI model is available with or without gps if you don't need it and want to save a few bucks. You can find units cheaper than the big box stores if you buy from reputable online stores such as Universal Mania, and BBG electronics.