Sign in to follow this  
DILLY07

Rod For Scrounger

I am looking for a rod that be well suited for a scroungers. . 

Basically what I am asking is what specs I should get for the scrounger rig.

Thanks for your help.

Dillon.

I fish a 1/4 oz scrounger/super fluke combo a lot and the best rod I've found so far, IMHO of course, is my Powell Max 706CB. It's a crankbait rod obviously so it has that type of bend/action while at the same time being a 6 power rod it has plenty of backbone for good hooksets at the end of a long cast. I fish it on 10# CXX.  

I've also fished them on "regular" 7' MH rods but didn't like them nearly as much as I felt the action was a little to fast.

So I'd suggest a rod from their crankbait/reaction type rods, one mean for deep cranks.

I fish the 3/8 oz and the 1/2  baits routinely and my recommendation from the Denali rod line is the

Denali Rosewood Cast Rod 6'10" Med Hvy - R823SB.Spinnerbait -

These baits are fairly easy for the bass to throw  - a slightly softer action (not quite crankbait soft) helps keep them buttoned up.

Taper                 Line            Wt. Lure Wt.    Guides     Handle Length      

Moderate Fast  10-20lb          5/16-1oz             8+Tip     14-1/2"

A-Jay

• Like 2

I agree with A-Jay. I use my MH spinnerbait rod for Scroungers and Chatterbaits as well.

• Like 1

I am using a Duckett White Ice 7'1" Medium Heavy with fast action. It has a very soft tip but good back bone and it works really well for the scrounger / skinny dipper combo's I like fishing.

I use my 5 power jig/worm rods for Scroungers 1/2-3/4 oz with 26 lb Sunline FC Sniper line. My reasoning is to get good hook sets on larger size 5/0 hooks I use on custom Scroungers.

Tom

• Like 2

I use my 5 power jig/worm rods for Scroungers 1/2-3/4 oz with 26 lb Sunline FC Sniper line. My reasoning is to get good hook sets on larger size 5/0 hooks I use on custom Scroungers.

Tom

Tom, are you making your own "custom" scroungers ?

We've been getting what we need from Zach Crider . . .

A-Jay

Tom, are you making your own "custom" scroungers ?

We've been getting what we need from Zach Crider . . .

A-Jay

Yes, been using Scroungers long before Aaron came out with his version. The original Scroungers had 3/0 hooks that didn't work very good for big bass so I straighten out the hook, cut it off at the barb and tied on and super glued 5/0 round bend longer shank worm hooks back in the early 80's. Also trimmed the lead back about 3/8".

Is Zack with Xtreme?

Tom

Yes, been using Scroungers long before Aaron came out with his version. The original Scroungers had 3/0 hooks that didn't work very good for big bass so I straighten out the hook, cut it off at the barb and tied on and super glued 5/0 round bend longer shank worm hooks back in the early 80's. Also trimmed the lead back about 3/8".

Is Zack with Xtreme?

Tom

Yes Sir, he is -

He makes a very nice bait that has accounted for many very respectable bass for all the members of "The Scrounga Club"

It's such a versatile, effective and totally under utilized bait.  And I'm OK with that.

A-Jay

I no longer need to make my own!

Tom

• Like 2