Montanaro

Swimbait Ratio Reel

I'm planning on getting a heavy daiwa frog rod rated up to 2 oz for throwing g2 shellcracker, hudd 6" and punching light mats.

I'm stuck trying to decide if I can get an 8:1 ratio and making it work with swimbaits or get a low ratio for swimbaits. If I split the difference with a 6 or 7:1 I'd not do either really well.

Does anyone swimbait with higher ratios? Certainly they would help pick up slack from bass hitting swimbait from behind and pick up slack for a good hookset.

I tried to use my shellcracker on my flipping stick that has an 8:1:1 reel and I couldn't go slow enough to maintain it's action and not have it moving too fast. Also anything I've read on the Hudd says to go slow. I bought a dedicated setup since I'm going to be using them more often this year.

A lot of guys use a lexa 300 for swimbaits. It comes in a 6:3:1 and a 7:1:1. Also a low ratio model but I think the 6:3:1 is pretty widely used.

I've used 7to1 tatula with shellcracker without issue. Yeah I had to slow down but I don't think 3 or 4 more ipt would make it much different. Just can't justify a dedicated setup for such an expensive technique

Gotta pay to play. Swimbaits aren't cheap. Why try to cut corners when throwing them?

I'm not even into the expensive bait realm of things either. $100 is my limit on a bait.

I like using higher gear ratio on glide baits, and lower gear ratio on rest.

Well I've got the rod...but still have the dilemma of which ratio.

This rod is good for punching and swimbaits, would a 6to1 ratio work for 6 inch swimbaits and punching? 7 to 1 seems too fast.