Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

Which Would Be Better...pixy Airy Red Or Px Type R?

Thinking about treating myself to a true finesse reel instead of trying to turn other reels into finesse.  Should I take advantage of the PX being on sale at $300 or wait for another Red Pixy to go up for sale?  Missed the last one, so kind of hoping your answers will be for the PX so I won't feel too bad for waiting so long to decide.  :teeth:

I've read that the Red Pixy is considered the best of the various models that were sold.....but is it enough better to be chosen over the PX?  Thanks.

What you will get with an Airy Red ( I have 3 btw ):

-Light line drag: cork drag pads and if you happen to want more drag you can tighten it down with pliers and flatten all the drag washers and still won´t get more than 3 lbs of drag.

- NO CLICKING DRAG STAR

-Slow 5.8:1 gear ratio( around 21" IPT )

So no, other than the panage of owning a limited  edition reel ( that I really like ) the PX-R is a much better much all around reel  than the any of the regular Pixies will ever be ( silver mica, racing yellow, airy red, frosted orange ).

The px r is the better buy for sure.  The airy red would need to be "pixzilla'ed" to be in it's class which would run some bucks.

Okay.  Thanks a lot.  Decision made.

right now its HARD to beat the type R for its price on TW...

I already regret spending the money, but don't think I will regret having the reel.  TW's deal was too good to pass up.  The most I've ever spent for a reel.  I am hoping this reel will let me cast down to at least 1/8 oz.  Right now I suck at it with the combo I tried with that weight.

• Like 1

I already regret spending the money, but don't think I will regret having the reel.  TW's deal was too good to pass up.  The most I've ever spent for a reel.  I am hoping this reel will let me cast down to at least 1/8 oz.  Right now I suck at it with the combo I tried with that weight.

Pair it up with a ML rod and you'll have no problems.

Pair it up with a ML rod and you'll have no problems.

I thought I'd put it on my 6'9" Falcon Expert Light.  It is rated for 1/16 oz.

I thought I'd put it on my 6'9" Falcon Expert Light.  It is rated for 1/16 oz.

Those are sweet rods!  You're going to have fun.  There's just something about finesse fishing that really appeals to me and my arsenal is evolving towards it:  pxl-r w/klx finesse rod, yellow pixzilla w/imx cr 721, scorpion xt (7.1 gear upgrade, avail spool) w/ no rod yet but thinking about a phenix m1, recon2 or dx 701. 

Yeah, I really like my Falcon Expert rods.  I have more setups leaning towards the light side than necessary.  I am using a tuned and upgraded TD-Z 105H on a ML HMG, a Carbonlite and ML Crankin Stick plus another Carbonlite currently on the Light Falcon.  Also a couple Curado 51Es.... one that is mounted on a 6'10" ETS MF rated to 1/8 oz. although I have been limiting true 3/16 oz. lures to the first 3 combos mentioned.  Picked up the 6'10" MXF Tatula recently.  It is rated to 3/32 oz.  Kind of excited to see what it can handle.  It has a rather unusually weight range.  Tip is pretty thin.  I have a tuned and upgraded Sol that I installed a Presso spool in.  Currently spooled with 10# Super Natural.  Think it will be going on this rod.  All 3 of the first combos mentioned will toss a 3/16 oz. Shad Rap a fair distance.  I am considering purchasing an HMG 7' ML for the Carbonlite coming off the Expert.