Rapomstage3

Console Gps/depth Finder Strategy

Im new to bass fishing ( about 1 year deep) and actually just got my first bass boat. It has a garmin 160c which I'm pretty sure is from 2002 in the console. Are you guys just blocking these things out and ram mounting a newer unit? I can't seem to find a good option. I have all winter to figure it out as I'm in NH. The boat is an 02 ranger 175dvs. It's kinda my second boat if I'm being honest. Any help is appreciated.

I'd either put a filler plate there or I'd flush mount a HDS 5. I think that old garmin is similar in size.

I opted for Ram mounting cause I have no place to flush mount.

console_zps545094ab.jpg

What's tw website?

Tackle Warehouse

I installed my HDS-5 in the dash on the console, the HDS-10 on a Swing Arm Ram mount off to the side, and the HDS-7 on the bow, using the built in TM transducer when looking straight down and networked with the sidescan when I want to use that.  My boat came with a round, flasher unit in the dash panel so I had to make me another panel from some 1/4 aluminum and to make room for the HDS-5 to mount in the dash panel

This thing has a humminbird 160c in the dash. I was hoping to replace it with something usable that would work with something mounted on the side via ram. How are you utilizing two. Side imaging on one and Gps contour on the other?then downs can up on the bow?

The structure scan unit networks all three HDS's.  The drawback is, if you are wanting to use the structure scan view, the only transducer for that is at the back of the boat, so when you are using the bow mounted unit, everything you are seeing is 20 feet behind you. 

It has been three years since I installed that system, but I think I installed down looking transducers on each unit and Navionics maps in all three so each unit can operate totally independent.   Like I said, it's been three years but if I remember right, for the structure scan to work it's best, it has to be on the HDS-10, because the down looking transducer on it is the set up for the optimal separation from the structure scan transducer, but the 10's display can be networked to the five or seven, so you can see it on any one of the units. 

At 67 years old and having been three years, that old fart CRS crap my have me wrong, but I think that's the way I did it.

I would say, most of the time, I'm probably using the five mounted in the dash and when wanting more detail on a spot, I use the 10 in the structure scan mode.  You have to be moving so slow with the structure scan, it's not something you can use quickly.

This thing has a humminbird 160c in the dash. I was hoping to replace it with something usable that would work with something mounted on the side via ram. How are you utilizing two. Side imaging on one and Gps contour on the other?then downs can up on the bow?

If you get Humminbird units that are Ethernet compatable, you can have as many units as you want connected and share transducers and GPS data as much as you want.

All the 2014 model 800, 900, and 1100 series share functions and data unlimited. You just need an Ethernet switch/s to tie them all together.

Personally I would remove it and block out the old unit if I did not use it.....I do not want any electronics 'permanently' mounted.....I like to take them off when not using the  boat.