Sign in to follow this  
Poolshark

Shimano Discontinued Lifetime Warranty?

The new cumaras Have one year warranty! It struck me as odd as i was considering one today. I inquired about this with my local tackle shop owner and he said they have completely stopped the lifetime replacement program. I was told that it applies to everyone's rods, even if they own some already. Can anyone elaborate on this? I've never had one break, but this was a huge selling point for me personally.

If you haven't broke one in a year, then there is no defect in material or workmanship. If you break it after a few uses, its operator error.

• Like 1

I agree. I own a lot of avids. And st croix has always been awsome with their service. The only rods I've ever broken were my own fault. I was just curious because all of my inshore rods are shimanos. I care for them well but it for some reason was a selling point for me. I was just asking to be sure. It has to be a big selling point for a lot of us. I'm sure you can't warranty every careless angler. And I know people high stick and bruise rods as well.

If you own a Shimano that has a lifetime warranty, it will be honored for the lifetime of the rod. The replacement rod will only carry a one year warranty.

• Like 1

If you own a Shimano that has a lifetime warranty, it will be honored for the lifetime of the rod. The replacement rod will only carry a one year warranty.

He's correct.

I heard there is discussion about adding to the warranty program after the 1 year.  I think similar to the G Loomis philosophy about replacing the rod at a set price.

I think the other piece that everyone is missing is that very few "warranty" programs are really warranty programs anymore.  They are more rod replacement programs as people think a rod breaking is a warranty issue and 99% of the time it is not a warranty issue but rather operator error.  OF al the rods i have broken i have had one fly rod that was truly a warranty issue in my mind as the location the rod broke was rare and it was done during a cast.  It doesn't take that much to put a nick or a weak spot in graphite and when it breaks, it isn't the rods fault.

• Like 1

I have only ever broken two rods that were an actual warranty issue. One broke while I was spooling it with line and the other on a hookset. I take very good care of my things so therefore I've had very little use for the warranties that come with rods. Not saying that others don't, I'm simply saying that if a rod has a defect it will show itself before the one year warranty runs out. If you like Shimano rods then go ahead a buy with confidence, just my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

People seem to gravitate to the ideal that it's always about the " Rod Blank " and that's just one part of the rod, I've had failures with reel seats and don't forget about the micro guides and their high degree of failure rates... I believe in a fair warranty for real warranty issues.. I have read of malicious acts toward rods for the sake of replacement, this makes it hard on the honest fisherman with a legitimate problem in some cases. For me, I feel like 10 years is a lifetime..for a rod, anyways. Often times when I buy a rod now, it has a special purpose in mind, meaning I may not employ it much at all the first or second year.. ( travel rod ) etc.. The warranty system appears to have been abused making it hard on the rest of us fisherman with integrity.. I believe this is the reason, at least in part, why we are seeing a shrinkage in warranty coverage.

• Like 1

People need to use common sense when executing a warranty claim for a broken guide too. Ok, pay $25 or more to send it back plus whatever the company's processing fee is to have a $10 repair done. A lot of times, they will send you the guide and you can have it done locally. I understand the reelseat issue. Ive seen many broken or loose ones. I will refrain on commenting on the point of origin of all of those rods tho.

• Like 1

Also, I use micro guides of one size or another on 90% of the builds I do and have yet to have one fail. The lack of care I see used in handling nice rods is astonishing. 

• Like 7

I'm with DVD on the micros. I've never replaced one on a rod I built.

People seem to gravitate to the ideal that it's always about the " Rod Blank " and that's just one part of the rod, I've had failures with reel seats and don't forget about the micro guides and their high degree of failure rates... I believe in a fair warranty for real warranty issues.. I have read of malicious acts toward rods for the sake of replacement, this makes it hard on the honest fisherman with a legitimate problem in some cases. For me, I feel like 10 years is a lifetime..for a rod, anyways. Often times when I buy a rod now, it has a special purpose in mind, meaning I may not employ it much at all the first or second year.. ( travel rod ) etc.. The warranty system appears to have been abused making it hard on the rest of us fisherman with integrity.. I believe this is the reason, at least in part, why we are seeing a shrinkage in warranty coverage.

I have a Shimano V Rod that part of the reel seat is loose, this rod is 10 years old.  I asked if there something I can do to fix it myself.  Shimano said no, this is a manufacturing defect and we will replace it with a Crucial.  I didn't do it because I love this rod, I didn't want to lose it, it isn't affecting my fishing so I'm ok with it.

Yes, you or a rod builder can fix a loose reelseat.

Yes, you or a rod builder can fix a loose reelseat.

Eventually I'll probably do it..for now it's not too bad! 

The reel seat is the only reason I've ever had to take back a Shimano rod. I had two Compres two years ago that had the same issue within the first week after I bought them. Bought them at BPS so I was able to just take them back.

Shimano is really backing off on what once was Customer Service as good as anyone in the industry. Take a look at their high priced spinning and casting reels they continue to support, their dropping models like they were bubble pack throw aways. Warranty Parts service, you name it, Stradic, Sustains and even Stellas, if their more than two model's old they discontinue them and that includes no longer servicing them, or supporting part's for them. I got rid of all the low profile Shimano baitcasters I owned a few years ago with Lew's, and have never had better baitcasting reels as these. I am now looking to get rid of my spinning reel's for reel's that are as strong smooth and light, that are supported better than throw aways, but that is proving harder to do, as for rods, I have known all along you will never top the quality, or the Customer Service, from any manufacture, over the products and service St. Croix provides with their American Made Rod's,,,,,,NEVER!!