Sign in to follow this  
Green Trout

Lews Speed Spool

They are good tells for the price.. My friend has one.

I enjoy mine. Great for the price! My favorite $100 reel! I'm now starting to go to all Lew's reels!

• Like 1

Just picked up a few that someone had reg $129 on sale for $79, the Laser Pro Speed Spool LP1SHL and they are every bit as smooth as my 1st Gen Revo STX

Sweet reels and great for the price. My friend often says Lew's biggest mistake was making such a good reel for such a low price.

Only reels I use can't beat them for $100. Can't find many reels at that price that has 10 bearings and an aluminum frame.

Too add to everyone else. They are great. Especially the price tag. I enjoy mine. I have the Speed Spool LFS. Definitely going to get more.

I have 3 from the first generation and they are sweet. Tough as nails and smooth for the price. Great beater reels

I have one.  I had issues with mine, grindy feel on the retrieve and screeching on the cast after 2 months.  I took it completely apart and gave it a good cleaning but it still isn't the same.  Tatula is much better IMO.   Casts farther and is smoother.  Doesn't  palm as well but for $100, I would go with a Tatula.

I have one and it's smooth as butter. Paid I think $45 for it and fwiw I still think it's a good reel @$100.

I have one. I had issues with mine, grindy feel on the retrieve and screeching on the cast after 2 months. I took it completely apart and gave it a good cleaning but it still isn't the same. Tatula is much better IMO. Casts farther and is smoother. Doesn't palm as well but for $100, I would go with a Tatula.

The tatula is not $100.. Not at retail.. So I don't think they are apples to apples... Also, you probably got a lemon.

The tatula is not $100.. Not at retail.. So I don't think they are apples to apples... Also, you probably got a lemon.

You can buy them all day long at amazon for $100 with free s/h.  You are right, they are not apples to apples as the Tatula is better IMO.   Yes, I agree, I did get a lemon.  I don't doubt they are a good reel.  They have plenty of reviews to back them up.  I really liked mine before the issues but the regular speed spool for $99 is not on par with Tatula even when it was functioning perfectly. If you were talking about the BB1 maybe you would have an argument.  I am just trying to point someone in the direction of a better reel at roughly the same cost. 

Only reels I use can't beat them for $100. Can't find many reels at that price that has 10 bearings and an aluminum frame.

I can name 3 for $60 and two of them are Doyos just like the "Lews".  I don't think I'll pay over $100 for a reel ever again.  Truly great times we live in.       

I had a couple crap out on me after a couple years. They were good before that, but there are better deals for your money elsewhere. You can find Curado I's for $135 on the bay and Tatulas for $100 almost anywhere. Those are both better options IMO. 

I'm a Lews guy, so on personal preference I'm partial to their product and can only speak about them, Shimano, and BPS. Personally, I've yet to find a better 100$ reel than the Lews Speed Spool in regards to castability, power, durability, etc. I own several (4 I think, but have lost count) and have had each for a year or more and each of them have performed flawlessly. Each of them have also held up really well. I'm tough on my rods and reels, although I do take good care of them, but I fish a lot and they travel in the back of my truck. Long story short to answer your question on how are the Lews Speed Spools...I stand by them and feel that anyone giving them a fair shot wouldn't be dissapointed.

• Like 1

I have one. I had issues with mine, grindy feel on the retrieve and screeching on the cast after 2 months. I took it completely apart and gave it a good cleaning but it still isn't the same. Tatula is much better IMO. Casts farther and is smoother. Doesn't palm as well but for $100, I would go with a Tatula.

Chances are your main or pinion gear are boogered up and that's why it feels that way. There might be some grit in there somehow but I highly doubt it. Change the main and pinion out and it will be smooth as butter again. It's a solid reel and gears wearing out is just part of the game.

As for the screeching that is a spool bearing for side plate bearing. They might be dry or have a little rust or something and need cleaned.

Funny how people are saying you can find "X" reel for $130 and "X" for $100 on eBay and they are better reels...but fail to mention that you can get a Speed Spool for 1/2 to 1/3 that cost. And the $130 Lews that you can find in eBay will blow the doors off "X" reels, haha.

Not to start anything...just being fair. Heck man...I got a brand new in box Team Pro for $150. That will blow the spool right out of a most $150 reels. (IMO of course)

• Like 2

they are one of the better $100 reels out there.they blow the abu Garcia orra sx out of the water imo.my buddy liked my orra better than the speed spool that I sold him,so he traded me the speed spool back for the abu.imo it was his loss.the lews was smoother, casted better,looked better&held up better.I hadn't had a minutes trouble out of the lews but the abu had clutch bar issues from the start. I ended up trading the lews again to another friend for a shimano curado B.i think I ended up getting the best reel between the 3 of us.haha