Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Ive been looking at jig rods for the past few months and I'm torn between two. I throw swimbaits and big baits most of the time and I prefer long rods. With this rod, Ill be throwing 1/2 - 3/4oz football and swim jigs along with flutter spoons. I know that I want an 8' medium heavy or heavy rod and that leaves me with two options. A Dobyns Champion 804c and a Phenix Recon 2 8' MH. I really like both of them but I'm skeptical of the Recon 2 because a lot of people complain about the rods breaking. Also, Ive heard that the 804c is a pretty stiff rod. There aren't any stores around me that carry these rods so I won't be able to try them out until Ive already bought one of them. Im hoping some of you guys have used one or both of these rods and can give me a little feedback on which one you like.

Hi Matt.  The 804c is a bit of a stiff rod yes, but not overly.  Maybe you were hearing about the 805c which IS about as broomstick as it gets until you load up a 5 lber on the end.  The only thing I notice on the 804c that MAY make it feel odd is the blank is thick above the reel nut.  I have a friend who threw a 1/2 oz football jig on the 804c and he loved it.  I used the rod for a spook as well and it casted and worked the bait well.  The 804c is actually not as stiff as the 764c to me.  I use that rod a bit for 3/8 oz football heads, although I prefer the 744dx.  Please let me know if there are any more specific questions I may answer. 

I prefer a 7 foot rod for jigs.

With big football jigs I can see where an eight foot rod would be beneficial. With swimjigs it would be a lot better to throw a seven footer for better accuracy. All of dobyns rods feel pretty stiff to me, but that is just me.

Hi Matt.  The 804c is a bit of a stiff rod yes, but not overly.  Maybe you were hearing about the 805c which IS about as broomstick as it gets until you load up a 5 lber on the end.  The only thing I notice on the 804c that MAY make it feel odd is the blank is thick above the reel nut.  I have a friend who threw a 1/2 oz football jig on the 804c and he loved it.  I used the rod for a spook as well and it casted and worked the bait well.  The 804c is actually not as stiff as the 764c to me.  I use that rod a bit for 3/8 oz football heads, although I prefer the 744dx.  Please let me know if there are any more specific questions I may answer. 

I appreciate the help man. I generally use Loomis rods, specifically the Backbounce series (BBR 966 & BBR 964) for throwing swimbaits. I absolutely love them for swimbaits. I thought about using the 964, but I think the action is too slow and the handle is too long for jig fishing. Its like a big crank bait rod.  I know that Ive never heard a bad thing about the Dobyns Champion series and thats why I'm open to trying one. One reason I'm wanting an 8' rod is that I'll be doing a lot of ledge fishing this year on Lake Barkley and I want the casting distance and ability to pick up a lot of line. Also, I do a lot of fishing by foot and I want to be able to get to those key areas. 

I appreciate the help man. I generally use Loomis rods, specifically the Backbounce series (BBR 966 & BBR 964) for throwing swimbaits. I absolutely love them for swimbaits. I thought about using the 964, but I think the action is too slow and the handle is too long for jig fishing. Its like a big crank bait rod. I know that Ive never heard a bad thing about the Dobyns Champion series and thats why I'm open to trying one. One reason I'm wanting an 8' rod is that I'll be doing a lot of ledge fishing this year on Lake Barkley and I want the casting distance and ability to pick up a lot of line. Also, I do a lot of fishing by foot and I want to be able to get to those key areas.

I do think you'd be making a great choice. The 8' rod gives a great amount of pickup. Try it out for a day or two of fishing and I bet you'll be in love man!

I appreciate the help man. I generally use Loomis rods, specifically the Backbounce series (BBR 966 & BBR 964) for throwing swimbaits. I absolutely love them for swimbaits. I thought about using the 964, but I think the action is too slow and the handle is too long for jig fishing. Its like a big crank bait rod.  I know that Ive never heard a bad thing about the Dobyns Champion series and thats why I'm open to trying one. One reason I'm wanting an 8' rod is that I'll be doing a lot of ledge fishing this year on Lake Barkley and I want the casting distance and ability to pick up a lot of line. Also, I do a lot of fishing by foot and I want to be able to get to those key areas. 

You are getting good advice from DTack. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to Dobyns!

• Like 1

When it comes to bass fishing I personally don't care to use a rod over 7' for any technique.

You are getting good advice from DTack. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to Dobyns!

I dunno about that but thanks for the kind words.