Sign in to follow this  
fishinphilly

Wake Baits

i just bought a couple wake baits to try to use this year i got a couple academy and a couple bill norman wake baits and i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on fishing them.  mostly like what time of year, best colors, or any certain way you can fish them, maybe around wood, grass or anything that can help

thanks, tight lines jim

spawn and post spawn they really shine as you can cover shallow water quickly and the fish don't like anything around their beds as well as post spawn fish looking for an easy meal.  Also fish them around bluegill beds, across the tops of weedbeds or any shallow cover.

• Like 3

i just bought a couple wake baits to try to use this year i got a couple academy and a couple bill norman wake baits and i was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on fishing them. mostly like what time of year, best colors, or any certain way you can fish them, maybe around wood, grass or anything that can help

thanks, tight lines jim

I like to take them and run them just above submerged grass, maybe ticking the veggies every once in a while to entice a bite.
  • Like 2

Steady retrieve on top - water temp above 55 degrees F.

Others to try : BPS ("The Egg") , Mann's , Bandit surface cranks  and Bomber Long A ... All are quite good !

Throw parallel to the bank from shore or boat - anybody can fish a wake bait , you will enjoy it and when you get bit on top water it's a lot of fun !

• Like 1

Before wake baits became a genre  , I use to reel in  a Pico Pop or an old Rebel chugger , {large Pop R } right under the surface. On a slow retrieve they would delicately wiggle. Perhaps the largest spotted bass I ever caught [ about 4 lbs ] was while waking a black Pico Pop  . I was waking it trough some standing timber , Table Rock lake on a sunny summer day in clear water.

The Heddon Lucky 13 is another one to try .

I got a couple this as well after i watched pagreg murder em a few times on his arashi wakes

The most critical aspect is making the v on the surface. If your bait is running too far under the surface to leave a v, the fish don't like it as much.

As for where, I've been amazed at the junk the arashi wake goes through. It will slide over submerged timber in a way I thought not possible. Bang it off standing timber like you would any crankbait. It definitely kills around grass clumps.