Sign in to follow this  
Gunnysack

Ugly Stik Elite

Checked a couple dozen of them at my local BPS. Every one had a bent blank.  Dont know if Bass Pro just stored them poorly or if its quality control but they were by no means straight.  The guides didnt impress me even for a beater rod.

Checked a couple dozen of them at my local BPS. Every one had a bent blank.  Dont know if Bass Pro just stored them poorly or if its quality control but they were by no means straight.  The guides didnt impress me even for a beater rod.

Almost every rod I have picked up at BPS has had a crooked blank. No matter what rod it is.

Almost every rod I have picked up at BPS has had a crooked blank. No matter what rod it is.

I swear it's true... I stated this very same thing a couple of times on here. It's very, very suspicious to me. I simply will not buy a rod from BPS. I live 30 miles from one, got a couple buddy's working there.. It's strangely true

BPS is usually where I make all my rod purchases.  I dislike most newer rods so I dont risk buying from internet sources as Id surely dislike the handle or something.  Ive never found a Loomis,St.Croix,Falcon or Penn rod there that was bent or with misaligned guides.  Ive been thinking about trying one of the house brand Carbonlights.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone have any experience with fenwick hmx?

Fenwick HMXs are decent rods in their price range.  For a few dollars more you can buy the HMGs.  If you are considering Fenwick and the Ugly Stick Elite, I would expect the Fenwick to win in the sensitivity department but I haven't held the Elite in my hands so I can't say for sure.  

The tips on the elites are still fiberglass, i.e., very whippy and will kill any vibration that would have been transmitted. They're good rods, but a full graphite rod would be better suited for most bass fishing.

funny... My mojo bass had a screwed blank!!!!