Sign in to follow this  
Eccs

Reel Cleaning Gone Wrong

So not too long ago I bought a used Revo S Gen 3 on the forums here. It being used I figured it could use a good cleaning so I bought The ardent Cleaning kit and followed tacklejunkie81's tutorial on youtube. It seemed simple enough to me and for the most part I have no problem with tearing things apart then reassembling. I stripped it all the way down and began cleaning the gunk out and soaking the bearings, gears, washers etc in the Ardent Cleaner. I then began reassembling after it dried and oiled bearings and greased gears(worm gear, main gear etc.) I used the reel butter as my grease for everything. I also soaked the drag washers, dried them and applied grease to them reassemblying with greasing. Once I began putting on the drag star near the end of reassembly it wasn't making the clicks like it usually does when tightening the drag and my thumb bar seemed to be jammed and you couldn't push it down. When I took off the side plates again I noticed that when I pushed the thumb bar it pushed the main gear up tilting it on an angle but when holding the main gear in place like it would be when fully assembled the two gears would not slide together(the smaller gear that is supposed to slide up and down). Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do or what I did wrong? 

make sure the " yoke " that lifts the pinion gear when you press the thumb bar is on the correct way.

For one, only drag specific grease (Cal's etc) should be used on drags. Remove the gear grease and run the carbon drag dry. Check the yoke as suggested, but also be sure the ratchet washer is seated followed by the rest of the gear/drag stack. If you didn't, print a schematic of the reel and be sure all the parts are there. In the future use heavy oil as opposed to grease on the worm gear. The exposed nature of the gear causes the grease to collect dirt and gum up. 

• Like 1

For one, only drag specific grease (Cal's etc) should be used on drags. Remove the gear grease and run the carbon drag dry. Check the yoke as suggested, but also be sure the ratchet washer is seated followed by the rest of the gear/drag stack. If you didn't, print a schematic of the reel and be sure all the parts are there. In the future use heavy oil as opposed to grease on the worm gear. The exposed nature of the gear causes the grease to collect dirt and gum up. 

Okay I figured I needed drag specific grease but I read places that Reel Butter would be okay for it. I printed off a schematic so I know all the parts are there but I will take it apart again oil the worm gear instead of grease it and will run the drag dry and get back to you on how it is.

Sounds like the yoke to me, had the same thing happen to me with my orra 2sx. Take the plate off and make sure the it curves away from the main gear, in other words so the curve is towards the thumb bar. Hope this helps.

Sounds like the yoke to me, had the same thing happen to me with my orra 2sx. Take the plate off and make sure the it curves away from the main gear, in other words so the curve is towards the thumb bar. Hope this helps.

Well upon taking it apart I realized that the ratchet wasn't flush with the pinion that was my first problem which messed up the drag. My second problem was caused because of that misalignment, the yoke and the gear in the yoke wouldn't sit flush . Also I greased the 2 pins for the yoke before so I took that grease off and put a dab of oil on each pin to see if it would help. Also The worm gear had way too much grease on it so I cleaned it again and just put some oil on it instead. Put it all back together and she's all good now!