Jump to content
PondHunter

Question About Thrown Baits

Recommended Posts

Are baits that hook in the roof of the fishes mouth easier, or harder for the fish to spit out than hooks that stick in the fishes lower jaw?

 

I have had really good success with single hooks that stick in the roof of the fishes mouth, however one of the baits I'm looking at using would hook in the lower jaw, and I'm concerned it won't stay hooked as well.

 

What are your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you keep the line tight, it shouldn't be a problem.

 

I like to hook in the beak as well, but I've not found fish hooked elsewhere to be lost with a decent hook set.  It's only when I fail to set the hook well that I lose 'em, and I've learned to set the hook a couple or three times with my ultralight rig.

 

Regards,

 

Josh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say there are several factors & forces that come into play when discussing how a fish is hooked & whether or not a bass can or will throw a lure. 

 

 I'd would very curious to know what technique and / or lure you fish that allows you to know where / how a bass will be hooked in advance.  This is a something I've never been able to do.  Please share.

 

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A-Jay, I'm not sure if you're addressing me, or just in general.

 

I usually hook T-rigs through the fish's upper mouth.  Cranks and other plugs usually hook 'em in the lower jaw.

 

I mean, this isn't hard and fast and thus, my answer above.

 

Josh

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95% of the time when a fish throws a hood on me, I attribute it to operator error.  The other 5% of the time, I attribute the experience to an old and talented fish that bites lures and throws them just for sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95% of the time when a fish throws a hood on me, I attribute it to operator error.  The other 5% of the time, I attribute the experience to an old and talented fish that bites lures and throws them just for sport.

 

When a bass throws a hood on me, I figure I ran into a fish that's too big for Mr. Garcia and generally shuck iron. 

 

That's only happened once, though.  It was on Mississinewa Lake right over the old, flooded graveyard.  I hooked into something and next thing I know, I had a canvas bag thrown over my head.  The bass was so big it took three .45 slugs before it decided not to eat me, and every scale I had with me maxed out.  This is why I left my PB on my profile blank.

 

Josh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've hooked Bass in the lower jaw with Texas Rigged Worms, Jigs and Spinnerbaits. Always find it odd, but it happens. Brian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A-Jay, I'm not sure if you're addressing me, or just in general.

 

I usually hook T-rigs through the fish's upper mouth.  Cranks and other plugs usually hook 'em in the lower jaw.

 

I mean, this isn't hard and fast and thus, my answer above.

 

Josh

 

Josh ~ It was just a general inquiry.

 

I think the size of a bass, the angle at which a fish attacks a bait, if the fish turns the bait in any way in it's mouth as well as the time between strike & angler detection along with the hook set itself, all play a role as to where and how securely a hook (or hooks in the case of a multiple treble hook presentation)  end up biting into the bass.   Then added to all this is the line choice, rod type (power & action) along with the ability & actions of the angler and then the fighting ability / desire to escape of the bass.  So this is a pretty lengthy and still not all inclusive list of factors.

 

 Even when we think we've done everything right, fish still will earn their freedom on occasion.

But I do hate it when it's a Big One.

 

A-Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an answer, but I recently bought a Savage Gear 3D line-through 6" Baby Bass.  I was dissapointed to find the hook in the bottom of the bait, instead of the top as it is in the 8".  I like the hook in the top so I can drag the bottom without geting hung, and I like the upper-lip hook set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I've hooked LMB about every conceivable way it can be done, with about every bait commonly used in LMB fishing, sometimes they eat it deep, sometimes they eat it shallow, sometimes they slash at a 9 hook Jerkbait and get harpooned in the outside jaw area, crankbaits sometimes penetrate the tops of heads, body's of fish, tail areas, if I had my druthers, I want a jig, or trig single hook to penetrate upper mouth area... I wish I could call it like a 8 ball in the corner pocket. We catch some, we loose some, not sure about all the reasons we do loose them. At any rate, if the hook does penetrate well enough.. Wherever that maybe, theres a high likelihood you should land that fish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×