Sign in to follow this  

Not planning on buying anything else soon, as my bank account is looking a little deflated  :cry4::dazed-7: , but wanted to know what you guys look for in a frog rod. What rod do you fish frogs on? Brand? Length? Power? Action?

I like a good tip for casting and walking the frog with a strong back bone to bury the hook and get them out of the slop.  I use a megabass xx perfect pitch which is 7'2". 

• Like 4

The most important part of a good frog rod is power, IMHO of course. I've never really understood the guys that say you need a flexible tip in order to accurately cast and walk a frog. I've been using a Powell Max 735 for the past 6 years or so and I've never once had trouble casting or getting great walking action.

I've recently picked up a Powell Max 3D 736 CEF frog rod and couldn't be happier. It's even more powerful than the 735 and I haven't had any problems casting or working the frogs with it either. It's a fantastic frog rod! Both of them are 7'3" mag heavy extra fast rods. Of course the 736 is more powerful as its a 6 power compared to the 5 power 735.

The new Max 3D line is an improvement in every way to the original Max line. Both series are great and I especially feel that it's going to be very hard to find a better rod in the Max 3D price range of sub $200 rods.

I'm using a 7' 3" H/F Ethos from Academy. Got it on sale for $59 and it's the best frog rod I've owned. Lots of power but loads well to fire a frog a long ways. It has micro guides which I like to help with cast control so I can hit spots under a dock or overhanging tree. It makes a good pitching rod as well. 

• Like 2

I have the XX perfect pitch also. It works great for frogging, but I also use it as a light flipping rod. I wouldn't spend $300 on a frog-only rod. Get something strong enough to drive the hooks, and make sure it's light/comfortable to use. A MH veritas worked fine before I got the XX

The new Loomis E6X in 7'1" MH works well.

I thought the split grip would not give enough grip but it does.

And for $139 OTD locally on sale it works perfectly.