Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD46

Havoc Bottom Hopper Worm : Best Size For Shakeyhead ?

I see the Berkley Havoc Bottom Hopper Worm (designed by Larry Nixon) comes in 4.5" & 6.25"  sizes ... In your experience - what size is best for shakeyhead ? ... I like the fact this worm floats , it is very soft and should have a TON of action ! ...Thanks in advance for replies !

They're both very thin and difficult to rig on shakyhead if you use the screwlock type. I'd use the bigger of the two. The smaller size works well on a Pro Slider head. 

I see the Berkley Havoc Bottom Hopper Worm (designed by Larry Nixon) comes in 4.5" & 6.25"  sizes ... In your experience - what size is best for shakeyhead ? ... I like the fact this worm floats , it is very soft and should have a TON of action ! ...Thanks in advance for replies !

Where did you get that info from? They don't float, they are thin like Bluebasser86 mentioned so they hang in place a little longer but they will sink if you dead stick them. Another thing is the floating worm standing off the bottom is impressive looking, especially in an aquarium but in truth, it doesn't always catch more fish. I've mentioned this information on a few different threads about shaky head presentations. Me and 3 friends documented our catch rates and actually fished floating and sinking worms side by side for 3 years and what we found was the total catches and catch rates were pretty close to equal. Some of the best worms were sinking ones but here is the thing, when we did have days when the stand up presentation caught more fish, it was always in water with more than 2' of visibility but we had some outing in gin clear water where a sinking worm was lights out and the only reason we can come up with it that a worm standing up on a lake bottom is probably not natural, fish my do it in a feeding posture but not worms or other crawling prey. That said, the bottom hoppers are pretty decent and both sizes work but if you are looking at one size that has to catch, the 4.5" is the one. That 4.5" is my favorite shaky head worm size, when it is tough, I konnw that will get them, and while I also like a 6" worm, that is when I'm on a good shaky head bite and I'm looking for larger fish.

In an ICAST interview Ike said the back of the Bottom Hopper will float up ... Not a deal breaker for me either way as  a Zoom Finesse / Trick worm will work probably  just as well . I'm just looking for a new worm (Bottom Hopper) to try - they have a few nice colors as well , any fav colors while on the topic ?

Roboworms float once the salt is released. I just bought some of those to fish on spot removers.