Sign in to follow this  
Missourifishin

Question About My Lews Reels

Let me start by saying I'm open to input from anyone, of course. But this question can probably best be answered by people who have used both the Tournament and the Tournament Pro.

A year or two ago, I bought a Tournament. It was my second baitcaster, and I immediately fell in love with it. So, when it came time to add another reel I figured I would just stick with Lews and step up to the Tournament Pro.

Now, here's my problem: The Tournament Pro hasn't worked out as well for me as the Tournament. Obviously this surprises me since it is basically supposed to be the better and more expensive version of the Tournament. It doesn't feel quite as smooth and I'm backlashing a fair amount. I know backlashes are usually operator error. But it doesn't make sense to me that I was able to get the Tournament dialed in so well and not the Tournament Pro. 

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Is there possibly some kind of servicing that I should have had done on it when I got it? I assumed it would be fine right out of the box. Thanks in advance for your replies.

i too have a tournament and a tournament pro. my only guess is that the tp is much easier to cast, lighter spool maybe? so being used to the tournament and force necessary to cast, maybe with the tp your body hasnt adjusted to the ease in which it casts? thats just my 2cents hope it makes sense

As someone who uses both, I think there was probably something defective with the reel.   I have had nothing but awesome results with my TP's.   And I think that's the majority of what you will hear on these.   I think the key is the lack of smoothness you are mentioning.  To me that says something is wrong with the reel.

Are you positive its a reel problem? Trying to use the wrong rod power for lure weight will do that as well no matter what quality reel. Could also be bad/old line. May even be as simple as missing an eye on the rod while stringing it up. Its easy to do especially with the trend of micro eyes nowdays.

I have never experienced any problems with my Tournament Pro. I usually had 1 internal brake on, and adjusted the magnetics from there

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll respond to all of them in one post.

raoka, I can definitely see how it might be possible that I just haven't adjusted.

Kyle46N, I was thinking the same thing about a possible defect which the lack of smoothness would be a symptom of.

Junyer, no I can't say I am positive it's a reel problem. That's what I'm trying to determine. But it is spooled with the same new mono I use on every other reel, I've thrown a fairly wide variety of lures on it, and I've used on 2 or 3 different rods which I have also used with my Tournament. So I'm pretty convinced those things are not the problem.

ABW, I do the same thing with the brakes. But with my Tournament, I don't have to turn the mag brakes up much at all. While on my Tournament Pro I often have to crank them up really high just to make it not be a pain in the *** to fish.