Sign in to follow this  
ABW

O Rings Causing Senko To Break In Half

I have been using o-rings for wacky rigging senkos with a 3/0 octopus hook. The problem is, after I've been using the bait for a while the o-ring will eventually dig into the bait, almost tearing it in half. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

use a slightly bigger O-ring

• Like 1

use a slightly bigger O-ring

What size?

My experience with fishing senkos and o-rings is that the correct size is 3/8" O.D. - 1/4" I.D.   I've had the o-ring kind of tear the senko in half - after 20 or 30 fish.   I don't find that to be a bad problem to have.

My experience with fishing senkos and o-rings is that the correct size is 3/8" O.D. - 1/4" I.D.   I've had the o-ring kind of tear the senko in half - after 20 or 30 fish.   I don't find that to be a bad problem to have.

This is the size I am using, but mine still tear after a couple of fish.. I'm using a baitcaster and casting fairly hard is probably what's giving me this issue... 

What size?

I haven't used them in a while and I can't remember the exact size. Just go to a hardware store and bring a senko and look for the perfect size.

use the heat shrink tubing instead...  Wayne P on this site wrote all about it here:

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/a-better-wacky-rigging-method.html

^^This^^

Or you can try 2 or 3 oring on the senko to make it harder to dig in because of the width. Just make sure that the hook gap is big enough to clear the orings.

I use the ORings from TW. Without them I get about 3-4 fish before the worm is done. With them I get 10-12 fish before it splits. Also I find a 1/0 Owner wacky hook helps with the plastic durability better than other hooks I've tried. Don't know why but that's all I use now for wacky Senkos.

Either use the heat shrink tube stuff or just get some Zinkerz.  I can't stand senkos.  They blow up when you call 'em bad names.    

• Like 1

Just skewer them on the hook. You won't have them long enough to split in half.

• Like 2

use the heat shrink tubing instead...  Wayne P on this site wrote all about it here:

http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_indiana_bass/a-better-wacky-rigging-method.html

Justin sent me a package of baits a while back, including some senkos done up like this. Still using and catching fish on them, the tubing makes the bait last 3x longer, if not more. 

Notice all the likes on the shrink wrap idea?? Ditch the O-rings. 

Look up Parker o-ring sizes;

2-010 = .239 ID (1/4)

2-011 = .301 ID (5/16)

2-012 = .364 ID (3/8)

Select a o-ring size appropriate for the diameter of the Senko; 1/16 smaller the the Senko OD.

Red silicone o-ring is softer than the black neoprene material.

Never Slip tape solves this problem, 1 size fits all.

Tom

Notice all the likes on the shrink wrap idea?? Ditch the O-rings. 

I will look into this further...

• Like 1

Switch to Yum Dingers!  Senkos are too wimpy!

Now there would be a good thread: Which stick bits are as good as senkos?  Kidding, of course!!!

I use Keitech Salty Core Stick Never have a problem with this but then again I use CHT Tackle Hooks as well so maybe that helps. IDK just order some orings online or go to home depot and test them out.

Another vote for zman zinkerz. Can use one all night, and when it gets wore out, I use the 2 pieces for Neds

Another vote for zman zinkerz. Can use one all night, and when it gets wore out, I use the 2 pieces for Neds

I fished Ochos today with the o-rings and didn't have any tear on me. Going to definitely use the shrink wrap, and also gonna try out some zinkerz aswell.

Dont Zinkerz float??

1/4" Id is proper o-ring size for 5" Senko.

Not until they have a lot of use on them so that all the salt is gone. This is another reason this works perfect for me. Use as wacky at first, then once destroyed a quick snip of the scissors and I have 2 ready for a ned rig.