Sign in to follow this  
Thoro

Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game Opinions

Guys,

This is my first post.  I have been lurking for a while, learning a ton.  This is a great resource and the people here seem amazing too.

I am posting to ask a few questions abut kayak fishing and buying a first kayak.

I do not own a boat and have no space for one. I can swing a kayak though.  At first I was thinking about buying a new cheaper one, but we all now how that can end up and I am not the kind of person to settle for less when I know I will eventually want more.  So I think I've decided to be patient and look for a higher end used one In the $500 used pricing range.  With patience, I think I can end up with a pretty good setup.

That leads me to a used in nice shape Ocean Kayak prowler big game.  The owner has added an anchor trolley, accessory tracks and an additional hatch that opens to the main part of the hull.  It appears to be in good shape, probably about 7 years old.  Asking $500.  I would need to get a paddle and PFD, as well as some other accessories down the road I am sure.

Does anyone have and advice to offer regarding this choice?  I am planning on fishing mostly some larger ponds, tidal creeks and marshes that I live very close to, as well as occasionally trips to larger lakes.  Mostly bass fishing, but also hopefully some flathead and striper come spring.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the board :)

$500 seems high for a 7 year old boat in my opinion.  You can buy a new boat right now like a ride 115 for around 800 or a jackson cruise for 850....as far as the accessories go I don't even think they add value to a boat.  Sure it is a nice to have but you may not even want what they installed.  

This time of year many shops are closing out older models so you can score some pretty good deals.  I am lucky enough to live near an Appomattox river company store  and have gotten good deals on every kayak i have bought.  They also offer reasonable shipping of $60 i think for most kayaks.

I would also bet that with newer models coming out that there will be some decent used kayaks available soon.  Keep searching craigslist and act fast on what you want because the good deals never last long..

http://www.paddleva.com/shop/all/Clearance?lt=a&class[]=154&pg=all

I bought my new tarpon for less. I picked my yak for the size of ponds I fish, transporting and weight to lift. Have you physically seen the yak? I saw one, big, wide and heavy. You mentioned small bodies of water, would that yak be too big? For the marshes, no problem. Maybe two? Just a few things to think about. And welcome to the crazy addiction.

I just bought my Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler II that's a couple years old for $450 with everything shown on it and a really nice Carlisle paddle. I've been looking for a few years now and being patient finally paid off.

20150927_122025_zps6fkmw7ns.jpg

Guys, thanks for the replies. 

Welcome to the board :)

$500 seems high for a 7 year old boat in my opinion.  You can buy a new boat right now like a ride 115 for around 800 or a jackson cruise for 850....as far as the accessories go I don't even think they add value to a boat.  Sure it is a nice to have but you may not even want what they installed.  

I think this is a great point and did not really consider the age too much as the condition seemed very good, but, you wouldn't not consider the age of a car or the likes if you were buying one too....so very good point.

It seems that the price of used kayaks is outrageous, considering a lot of the sellers are asking only small discounts from new prices for kayaks.   It's not my fault if you only used it once and its not your cup of tea....it's still used!  For $100 more, I would rather get a new one.  Or am I looking at this wrong?

I think you all have succeeded in convincing me to hold off on the big game prowler.

I bought my new tarpon for less. I picked my yak for the size of ponds I fish, transporting and weight to lift. Have you physically seen the yak? I saw one, big, wide and heavy. You mentioned small bodies of water, would that yak be too big? For the marshes, no problem. Maybe two? Just a few things to think about. And welcome to the crazy addiction.

I want a good all around fishing kayak.  And I know you all may laugh, but seriously, I can only have one.  Stability would be at the top of my list for what I would want from one.  Speed is not so much a concern.  I want to look at the kayak as a way to get places I can't without, not necessarily how fast.  And I don;t want to be limited by a smaller kayak if I do end up getting a lot more serious about it and going to bigger water.

I've though about something like an emotion stealth angler or guster from cabelas, but they just seem like I will eventually not be happy with them and want more.

That being said....

What about a FeelFree Lure 11.5 "used once" for $750?

hey man, those lures get good reviews and look solid for the money.

i have a wilderness ride 135 and love it, but it is a little bigger than most.  a ride 115 might be a good option for you.  they are incredibly stable kayaks.  take your time and find some deals in the off season.