Sign in to follow this  
Bass2124

Spooling Line

Does anybody have any tips/suggestions on getting the correct amount of yardage/footage on your spools?  For example, If I wanted to put 75 yards of line on a reel at what point would I stop?  I am sure there are expensive tools to do this but there must be a a simpler trick to the trade.

Measure off XX amount of line or however much you want to use /w a tape measure. 

Put a nail or screwdriver in the ground at the beginning of where you started and a marker where to end.

Walk the line off from start to finish.

Spool the line.

Or...

Buy a 6$ line counter and clip your line through it when spooling. 

Deleted. iabass8 has a better method. Just out of curiosity what is the reason for the exact line quantity?

Deleted. iabass8 has a better method. Just out of curiosity what is the reason for the exact line quantity?

I don't see the need for putting more than 200' (225' for 1/2 a spool to be exact) for a season on a reel.  Just want to get 2 reels spooled out of a 150 yard spool of line.  Currently I am spooling the line with a random guess.

Measure off XX amount of line or however much you want to use /w a tape measure. 

Put a nail or screwdriver in the ground at the beginning of where you started and a marker where to end.

Walk the line off from start to finish.

Spool the line.

Or...

Buy a 6$ line counter and clip your line through it when spooling. 

Well that was easy........

To get more out of your spool of line. I use very expensive fluorocarbon line and /w backing and measuring off exact backing #'s and amount of line that comes off the fluorocarbon spool, I can get 3-4 "fresh" spools of line on a reel. I've never found the need to have more than 75 yards of line on a spool and I usually only have 55-65. 

To get more out of your spool of line. I use very expensive fluorocarbon line and /w backing and measuring off exact backing #'s and amount of line that comes off the fluorocarbon spool, I can get 3-4 "fresh" spools of line on a reel. I've never found the need to have more than 75 yards of line on a spool and I usually only have 55-65. 

Yes. I also have tried backing with flouro or mono (I use braid with a flouro leader on all my baitcasters now) but one thing that I hate with backing is that the knot that I use (Alberto) near the end of the run is irratating to the thumb.  Drives me nuts.  Then again I'm not sure how much line is actually on the spool so maybe with 75 yards of line you probably wouldn't notice the knot as bad.  On a side note I just purchased a line counter for $9.  :respect-059:  Couldn't find the $6 version... :cry4:

Makes total sense. That's what I was guessing it might be. I've always used the guess method when backing flouro. Probably have alot of high dollar line that never sees the water because of it. May take the time to be a little more mathmatical about it this year.