Sign in to follow this  
PennBass

Aggressive Catfish?

Was wading in a shallow, muddy pond yesterday when I felt something hit my boot, sort of felt like a shove. Water was too muddy to see anything, so I lowered my lure into the water and ended up snagging a 3 lbs. catfish.

Why would a catfish be striking my boot? The water was around 6 inches deep, but with soft, silty mud bottom.

He probably had a hole right around there he was well holed up in. Or you could have spooked some crayfish or other small baitfish wading and the catfish was being opportunistic in feeding from you stiring things up.  Or it just didn't like you.....lol

Probably more incidental contact rather than a deliberate attack. In muddy water, he just didn't see you and bumped into your boot.

Good thing it wasn't a 50 lb. flathead, he might have knocked you over.

Tom

• Like 1

Probably more incidental contact rather than a deliberate attack. In muddy water, he just didn't see you and bumped into your boot.

Good thing it wasn't a 50 lb. flathead, he might have knocked you over.

Tom

My dad had one in the 30lb range ram into his leg while we were wading a creek spongebaiting for channels and it did take him right off his feet and left a big bruise on his shin.