Jump to content
Hatten

New rod build

Recommended Posts

Just finished a new rod build.  It's on a Rod Geeks Carbon 4 blank painted in white pearl.  6'9" Med. Hvy. power, fast action.  The reel seat is a Fuji ACS and guides are Fuji Alconite KR concept w/stainless steel frames.  I used the reverse stipper guide. 

 

 

DSC_0159.1 (396x264).jpg

DSC_0161.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a start to a great build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Jrob78, I would like to turn my own one day but for now just order them pre made.

2 hours ago, Jrob78 said:

Nice work.  Do you turn your own grips?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hatten said:

No Jrob78, I would like to turn my own one day but for now just order them pre made.

 

That's cool, I don't remember seeing pre-made grips exactly like those before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!  

1 hour ago, Iluvsmallies said:

Looks awesome!

How are you liking your new rod Iluvsmallies?  Are you addicted yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 30, 2015 at 1:43 AM, Hatten said:

Thanks everyone!  

How are you liking your new rod Iluvsmallies?  Are you addicted yet?

I like it a lot just wish i coyld go fishing lol..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks awesome.   :dancing1:

The metalic thread really shows up nice on the whie blank. I was concerned about using it for guides as the epoxy doesn't saturate through it. I'm guessing you've used it before. 

Did you have any issues with bubbles in the finish?  The one time I used it for more than 20mm, I did.  It may have been that I was wrapping too loose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread holds the guide and the finish protects the thread. Saturation is nice added security but not a deal breaker. A coat of CP helps with the bubbles on longer wraps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

Looks awesome.   :dancing1:

The metalic thread really shows up nice on the whie blank. I was concerned about using it for guides as the epoxy doesn't saturate through it. I'm guessing you've used it before. 

Did you have any issues with bubbles in the finish?  The one time I used it for more than 20mm, I did.  It may have been that I was wrapping too loose.  

Sometimes I've had some bubbles show up, but not to bad!  I usually get them out with a little heat!

I've used the metallic thread on a few builds and haven't had any issues yet.  I used a metallic thread on an inshore rod for a lady to use on Reds and she hasn't had any issues yet!  Here's a couple of pics of the inshore rod guide wrap!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking about using those microwaves on my drop shot rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Iluvsmallies said:

Thinking about using those microwaves on my drop shot rod

I like the microwave guides.  They have a simple layout!  I used the Fuji KR Concept guides for my drop shot but for simplicity and function the microwave guides are good!  I wish I would have weighed both sets to see the weight deference.  Not sure what rod blank you're using for drop shot but with the MHX High Mod gen II 7'1" and the Fuji guides, I used 12 guides + tip!  I believe the microwave guide set only has 9 guides so you might want to order a couple extra runner guides for the microwave set!  Just a thought!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 guides is a lot for that blank. I'd reexamine your static testing procedure. On a drop shot Rod where long casts aren't critical the microwave kit will work but not offer any real advantage.  I'd opt for the lightest weight train I could put together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

12 guides is a lot for that blank. I'd reexamine your static testing procedure. On a drop shot Rod where long casts aren't critical the microwave kit will work but not offer any real advantage.  I'd opt for the lightest weight train I could put together. 

Yea your probably right about the number of guides.  But the rod is still probably the lightest I've ever owned!  Thanks for the input DVT!  I'm still new to building, only been at it for a little over a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just being constructive. You're doing fine. The main thing is to enjoy yourself. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like to hear your opinion on sensitivity of that rod geek blank once you get a chance to fish it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Im gonna stick with the fuji... I just ordered a liberty blank today... Cant wait to get started on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 8:14 PM, Hatten said:

Just finished a new rod build.  It's on a Rod Geeks Carbon 4 blank painted in white pearl.  6'9" Med. Hvy. power, fast action.  The reel seat is a Fuji ACS and guides are Fuji Alconite KR concept w/stainless steel frames.  I used the reverse stipper guide. 

 

 

DSC_0159.1 (396x264).jpg

DSC_0161.JPG

next time try a low rider stripper guide ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CarlF said:

Would like to hear your opinion on sensitivity of that rod geek blank once you get a chance to fish it

This rod was for my uncle so I will have to get a report from him.  

11 hours ago, pgersumky said:

next time try a low rider stripper guide ..

I'll have to check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×